Reload this Page >

Travel between London R& Berlin and Berlin hotels

Notices

Old Jun 10th, 2018, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have about 10 days in October (not counting travel days) that we want to split between London and Berlin. I haven't done thing one about planning yet but I'm hope to at least get air tix and hotels this week. Right now, though, if any of you can give me some advice about travel and hotels, I'd appreciate it.

First of all, is there a high speed train (or any train, for that matter) between London and Berlin? And if so, best ticket websites? Best train lines? Tips? I got a huge amount of train help here for last October's Italy trip and hope to get the similar advice for this one.

And

We know where we're likely to stay in London (Melia White House near Marylebone) but have no knowledge of Berlin hotels. Based on another poster's response here, it seems that good areas are Charlottenburg (especially around Savigny Platz), Prenzlauerberg and possibly Friedrichshain. Any comments or additions re this? We like a nice walking area -- things to see and do, shops, restaurants, etc. Unless we get a fabulous rate in a great hotel, I'd like to avoid the most tourist-heavy places (for example, in NY I like the Omni Berkshire at 52nd and Madison as opposed to Times Square).
It's hard for me to give you a budget because I don't really know Berlin hotel prices but let's say up to $300 CDN or US a night. Having just glanced at tripadvisor, I'm assuming I can get a 4 or 5 star hotel for that. I'm off to buy a Berlin travel guide today.

Any guidance you can give re Berlin would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, ignore that R in the title. Don't know how that happened.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 07:31 AM

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts
>>First of all, is there a high speed train (or any train, for that matter) between London and Berlin? <<

Flying makes more sense. The fastest trains would take more than 11 hours, counting getting to St Pancras, advance check in, two connections and to your hotel in Berlin.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 07:39 AM

Yes flying would be best and no doubt cheaper than an all-day train trip. For lots on Berlin here is a thread of mine that though old has some evergreen info:

Palenque's Berlin Journal
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, janisj. I was hoping to see you here. Any airline suggestions?
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

And thanks, pal. I'll go through your journal when I have a bit more time.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 07:46 AM
mjs

Think we flew GermanWings a few years ago Stayed at the Westin which was a very good location. Hotels in Berlin very reasonably priced.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 07:47 AM

Cheap Flights with low cost, charter and other airlines: find cheap air tickets and www.skyscanner.net for airlines serving any two airports.