Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   travel between London, Luxembourg, Strasbourg, and Lyon (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travel-between-london-luxembourg-strasbourg-and-lyon-769136/)

susan4 Feb 23rd, 2009 11:43 AM

travel between London, Luxembourg, Strasbourg, and Lyon

I am traveling with DD middle of April for 2 weeks, starting in London (about a week) and ending in Lyon. DD thinks best way to travel is Eurostar to Paris (0 to 3 nights) and then train to Luxembourg (1 night), Straussbourg area (3 nights?), and ending in Lyon (1 night). (I am returning to US from Lyon by TGV and flight home from CDG. DD lives in Lyon and I will be hauling large suitcases home to US for her, which is why that is last stop.)

Is Luxembourg worth the trip and is 1 day enough? DD wants to "check it off" her list of countries visited. : ) We also thought of including Normandy WW II beaches in our trip, but it seems out of the way and not sure we have enough time. We would prefer train travel but would consider renting a car if it would be much easier (and not too expensive).

Thanks in advance if anyone has any thoughts on our itinerary,

ira Feb 23rd, 2009 12:18 PM

Hi S4,

>DD wants to "check it off" her list of countries visited.<

Let her do it on her own time.

You can train from Paris to Strasbourg in about 2:15 hr.

However, if you have only 1 week to see France and must leave from Lyon, I suggest 4 nights in Paris, train to Lyon, fly home.

Taking the Eurostar London/Paris is a good idea.

((I))

Palenque Feb 23rd, 2009 12:21 PM

Luxembourg to me is one of the most unique cities/principalities i've ever seen.

Physically gorgeous as a huge gorge bisects the town - with a languid river running thru it.

That said the rest of the city is ordinary but nice. The main thing to do seems to be to tour the Casements - or tunnels hewn out thru the ages in the cliff rocky walls. And to sit at an outdoor cafe in the Grand Place (name?), a stately Linden-tree lines old-world type square.

In suburban Hamm there is an American military cemetery where Gen George Blood and Guts Patton presently resides, along with many other American military killed in WWII - Patton died after the war in a jeep crash in the Grand Duchy.

As for the Eurostar - advance purchase is imperative to get any kind of reasonable fare - i always say to check sources in $'s - sold by RailEurope in the U.S. and in Pounds via www.eurostar.co.uk or www.eurostar.com as they can be cheaper on either - you never know. That said RailEurope is notorious it seems for not always showing the cheapest fares actually bookable on their site - one reason i always suggest calling someone at www.budgeteuropetravel.com - and have a manual search done - they are experts in my long experience dealing with them. But be sure to check fares in Pounds as well - esp since the Pound is sinking faster than the Lusitania did - but you never know which one will be better - and yes book as early as possible - in your case start now as you do not have much time. Just show up and you could pay hundreds of bucks more.

You should also investigate, with that many rail trips in France the France Railpass and also www.sncf-voyages.com for discounted PREM fares - but these also sell out quickly so the pass could be a good deal if you cannot secure these anymore. Pass can be used on any train anytime subject to making a seat reservation on TGVs - three fine sources for info about French rail travel and passes - again www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com. One advantage of a railpass is that you can get a one-way passholder fare on the Chunnel (Eurostar) trains if you hold a France railpass and this could be much cheaper than any other available fare at this time - a factor to consider.

ParisAmsterdam Feb 23rd, 2009 12:23 PM

Going *anywhere* to "check it off" is a poor reason to go...
take Ira's advice as you really don't have the time anyway.
Unless you really like sitting on trains.

Rob

yk Feb 23rd, 2009 12:25 PM

I agree with Ira. I don't see the point of going to Luxembourg for one day just because your daughter wants to check if off her list. She has plenty of time to do so in the future. It seems like a waste of travel time and money to do that extra trip. I'd much rather spend the time visiting Nancy. Do a search for MademoiselleFifi's trip report to Paris & Nancy here.

Palenque Feb 23rd, 2009 12:44 PM

Is Luxembourg worth the trip and is 1 day enough? >

emphatically yes, and one day is enough

one of the most pretty cities in Europe IMO

I went to Nancy last year for a day and it is a nice city - but not nearly as gorgeous as Luxembourg is IMO

Ira - have you been to the Grand Duchy? yk? have you - just curious as to why you say not to go - has nothing to do with DD - the OP asked the Q:

<Is Luxembourg worth the trip and is 1 day enough?> And again yes - it's a one of a kind - Nancy is nice but many other cities are just as nice. Takes about the same time on TGV trains to either.

yk Feb 23rd, 2009 12:55 PM

Yes, PalenQ, I visited Luxembourg City in July 2005 with my mom. It's okay, but not a place I would recommend others to go out of their way to visit. As far as the gorge is concerned, I think Toledo's steep hills and gorge are just as impressive.

yk Feb 23rd, 2009 01:00 PM

The reason I suggested Nancy is because it is pretty much on the way between Paris and Strasbourg.

ira Feb 23rd, 2009 02:03 PM

Hi PQ,

>just curious as to why you say not to go.<

It doesn't fit the OP's requirements.

I'm sure that a visit to Luxembourg at another time, and with other considerations would be wonderful.

If the OP's daughter had suggested Salzburg, I would have said the same thing.

((I))

ira Feb 23rd, 2009 02:03 PM

Hi PQ,

It doesn't fit the OP's requirements.

I'm sure that a visit to Luxembourg at another time, and with other considerations would be wonderful.

If the OP's daughter had suggested Salzburg, I would have said the same thing.

((I))

ira Feb 23rd, 2009 02:04 PM

OOPS, sorry for the double post.

thursdaysd Feb 23rd, 2009 04:25 PM

One day for Luxembourg really isn't enough - there's much more to see than just the capital (TR at /wilhelmswords.com/faq/index.html - Loving Luxembourg). I can't compare it to Nancy yet, as I won't get to Nancy until April, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing lots of Art Nouveau.

Palenque Feb 24th, 2009 06:18 AM

It doesn't fit the OP's requirements.>

Uh? Explain that to me - i can see no requirements she poses - just asks the Q is Luxembourg worth it and is a day enough there - i emphatically say yes to both - a whole day is more than enough for the typical traveler - you look into the gorge, take the casements tour and have a drink in the Grand Place - now we are talking about Luxembourg City, not the whole Duchy.

Susan - your DD wants to go dearly - if i were traveling with my son and he wanted to make a very slight few-hour detour to go to Luxembourg and your question about is it worth it everyone seems to say yes then i would go for it - why not - you are traveling as a couple so each should have some input - As for Ira's advice:

<Let her do it on her own time.>

I personally find this advice extremely cold and you should ignore what to me is a very rude and judgmental comment - and take joy in doing something with her that she so much desires - Luxembourg to Strasbourg is just two hours by direct train.

susan4 Mar 2nd, 2009 08:34 AM

Hi and thanks for the replies.
Ira, I really enjoy your posts and you have helped me many times in the past, (sometimes just by reading your suggestions and advice to others.) I am sure you could never be rude.

DD spent a semester in London during college and returned to Europe after graduation. She has worked in London and Dublin on short trem visas (we are from USA) and now is spending a year in France studying French. (This summer she is going to Australia where she can get a 1 year visa to work, but that is another story)

Anyway, by "checking it off, I guess I was a little cold. Obviously she has traveled a lot and is interested in going to places she has not been yet. This trip will also include destinations I have chosen, like the Cotswolds.

Palenque and others,
Thanks for your advice. Looks to me like Luxembourg is worth the detour.