Sorrento to Rome for a flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How unrealistic is it to get from Sorrento to Rome to catch an 11:50 a.m. flight? There is a 6:50 train from Naples that gets you into Rome at 8:00 and then there is the half hour trip from the train station to the airport, so I'm guessing we could be at the aiport by 9:00. There is also a 7:20 train and 7:35 train that get you into Rome at 8:30 and 8:42, respectively. We obviously have to get to the Naples train station in the morning, I can see some early trains on the schedule, but while it notes the departure time, it does not note the arrival time.
Old May 14th, 2011, 01:43 PM

Good luck..

I checked the schedule and saw a very early train that leaves Naples at 4:34 and arrive at termini at 6:45.

Are you taking a limo service from Sorrento to Naples?
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Which train does not show the arrival time to where?

I you are talking about Sorrento-Napoli Garibaldi
www.vesuviana.com is showing 5:01-6:06 as the earliest train on a weekday such as May 16th.

You don't need to guess when the train is scheduled to arrive at airport. If you use www.trenitalia.com, plug in Napoli Centrale-Fiumicino Aeroport, then it shows the entire "scheduled" timing of the Trenitalia portion of the trip, given you are looking at dates within a week.

It is realistic in that there are trains, if no foul ups, that would work. You have very little margin of error unless you are willing to leave Sorrento very early in the morning.

Do you need to run on such a tight schedule?
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:04 PM

If you can rather stay in Rome the night before your flight, then that's the much better option. Imagine the panic/annoyance if the train is delayed between Naples and Rome. Then there's the issue of getting from Sorrento to Naples early in the morning. The Circumvesuviana train service starts at 5am and takes around 70-ish minutes to Naples. There are a few bus services - Curreri starts at 6.30 and can go through to Rome by 10.10am (not on Sundays)or Marozzi bus service is about the same. The SITA public bus also has routes which may suit, but again not before 6am.

As kismetchimera has noted, a limo/car service would be a good choice, but then I'd go one more and take the service all the way to Fiumicino - usually not overpriced and certainly a quicker and more certain way of reaching the airport in time.
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I think I'd opt to head up to Rome the night before and stay in town. Then head to the airport in the morning.
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

The Sorrento to Naples schedule is the one without the arrival time. The pdf file appears to have only a departure time and the website gives me nothing if I enter the departing and arrival station for my date. I would think that that 5:01 to Naples and then catching the 6:50 to Rome would give us enough time. I don't mind getting up early since I will probably spend the majority of the flight home sleeping. How likely is it that there will be issues with the trains being delayed that early in the morning (it would be Monday July, 4)?
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:27 PM

<How likely is it that there will be issues with the trains being delayed that early in the morning (it would be Monday July, 4)?>
How long is a piece of string??!! With those timings, you *should* be ok, but who can say for sure. Delays can be things like strikes, train issues, etc, so that's just something you take with the joys of travel.

The Circumvesuviana at 5am will get you in to Naples around 6.15am (or earlier depending on how long it needs to stop on the milk run of stations). Don't forget to get off at Napoli Centrale/Garibaldi, which is the second last stop (next one is Porto which won't do you any good) to change to the main station line for the Eurostar (hope that's the train you're getting) fast train to Roma Termini. From Termini, trains out to Fiumicino (I'm assuming you're flying from there and not Ciampino) run every 30mins and take 30mins - go the Leonardo Express! Depending on which platform you arrive at from Naples, you'll just need to find signs for Platform 24/25 then look for the Leonardo Express ticket booth and buy your ticket there (around Euro15) before boarding the train.

If you are fine with getting up early, have a backup plan for flights in case delays do happen, then cross your fingers and jump on. Do check the cost of a car service, just for your own interest (I haven't done the car service on that route for many years, so prices would have changed) and compare with the cost of all the trains added up.
Old May 15th, 2011, 05:01 AM

If you don't mind, would you tell us the rest of your itinerary? It is not necessarily that you can do anything about it now, but others who read the postings might benefit from finding a different to do the similar itinerary.

It seems there are roughly two types of itineraries involving Sorrento/AC giving people a reason to post.

1. Tight schedule that looks something like this preventing people from spending more time in AC.

Arrive in Rome - Rome( ~3 nights) - somewhere else - AC (~3 nights) - Rome (1 night) to catch the morning flight home.

2. Risky morning trip back to Rome from AC:

Arrive in Rome - Rome (~3 nights) - somewhere else - AC (~4 nights) - very very early morning departure from AC to fly home from Rome.

This kind, as you found out, has a little margin of foul ups and a high penalty if it does not work out.

Both of these issues can be designed out at usually no cost or even cost savings if the arrival in Rome is in the morning, since you usually cannot check-in the hotel before noon anyway.

Arrive in Rome - AC (~4 nights) - somewhere else - Rome (~3 nights) - fly home.
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

No problem, here is our itinerary:

Fly into Venice
Days 1-2 Venice
Days 3-5 Florence
Days 6-9 Rome
Days 10-12 Sorrento/AC (stop in Pompeii on the way down)
Fly home from Rome

There is not a whole lot we can do at this point. We had decided on this route for 2 reasons,

1. We had originally thought we'd be able to do mass with the pope which is on Wednesdays, so we wanted to make sure we were in Rome on a Wednesday. Turns out there will be no papal mass the day we are there.

2. We wanted to end at in Sorrento/AC so that the end of the trip was more relaxing, rather than ending in Rome where we plan to do a lot of touring.

I'm trying to figure out what might be our best bet at this point. I was half thinking that if we did Pompeii day 12, we can spend the last night in Naples and then eliminate the train ride from Sorrento the morning we fly out, but I feel like we lose more time enjoying italy and spend more time traveling.
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

So I was just reading on Slow Travel Italy that train strikes can never occur in July. Anyone know if this is reliable information? That would at least eliminate one potential issue.