Travel between Annecy to Geneva in July 2015

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I'll be coming from Annecy July 13/15 to Geneva area and I'm trying to figure out best route and method of transportation with train or bus. I'll be with my 23yr old daughter and I'd like to stay in the area between Montreux and Lausanne. I'm interested in vineyards, hiking locally and checking out the local area. I need recommendations on affordable place to stay, with access to trains etc. and I have to get back to Geneva for a flight out on the 15th. Looking forward to your expertise the Lauvaux vineyards sound lovely! Thanks for any input!! Pat
Old May 19th, 2015, 01:16 AM

Hi smithp7,

I hope I can help!

You can find the bus transportation at

www.gare-routiers.com

On the right-hand side of the page, use the drop-down menu to select "Regular Lines Region Bordercross." If you open the downloaded pdf, you'll see the routes from Annecy to Geneva starting on pg. 7. You can depart at 09.15, 10.15, 14.15, 14.45, 16.00, 17.15, and on. The trip takes about 1h15. You should get off at the Geneva bus station (Gare Routiere), walk a few blocks to the train station, and catch a train onward to your destination.

What is your exact budget for accommodations, as everyone will have a different idea of what is "affordable." I personally would stay at the Hostellerie de Bon Rivage (www.bon-rivage.ch/en), right on the lake in the small suburb of La Tour-de-Peilz just outside of Vevey. A double room there is 210 - 290 chf per night.

Another nice place is Le Charlot Guest House, where it looks like you could get a double for 3 nights for 298 chf.
www.lecharlot.com/englishsite/index.html

You might want to stay in the lovely town of Lutry, right on the water and also in the vineyards. If I stayed there, I would want to stay at Le Bourg 7, where rates range from 160 or from 270 chf.

Friends of mine stayed at a B&B in Chardonne (vineyards above Vevey). I'm not exactly sure which B&B it was, but it might have been this one:

http://bnb-chardonne.ch/

Unfortunately, it looks like they only have one bed in their rooms.

One of my favorite hikes is from Lutry to Cully (about 2h I think) or to Rivaz (about 3h).

Have fun as you plan!

s

http://www.lecharlot.com/englishsite/index.html
Old May 19th, 2015, 01:23 AM

Oh, forgot to mention that you'll be there right in the middle of the Montreux Jazz Fest (3-18 July). Many folks like to stay outside of the area of madness, like in Vevey, and commute in to Montreux for concerts or free events or to soak up the wild atmosphere. For that reason, you may find it hard to get a reasonably priced hotel -- I would book asap once you find one you like.

s
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:33 AM

Timetable T72
http://www.cg74.fr/pages/fr/fiches-h...ignes-506.html
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:48 AM

YOu could just stay in Lausanne, it's only about 20 minutes from Montreux by train, anyway. Otherwise, Vevey is a good idea, I agree.
Old May 19th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

HiSwandav2000, Thank you for taking the time to give me so much information. I loved both places you picked but both of them said they had no reservation. I sent them an email as well just in case. I love the idea of being by the lake. I tried to go on the website for the B&B but it is in French and I don't know how to change it to English. Do you have any recommendations anywhere else. Should I look in Lausanne because there are more hotels? If so could you recommend any? Thanks, Pat
Old May 19th, 2015, 09:15 PM

Hi again,

Well, I just love chatting about Montreux and the area, which I love.

Here is an alternate website for that B&B:

http://www.bnb.ch/index.php?p=page&id=1778

This website is in English.

From either website, you can just email the owners and ask, in English, for a room for your dates. At the original bnbchardonne site, just click on the "contact" button. I'm certain that they speak English.

Did you try Le Boug 7? Here's their website:

http://lebourg7.com/

I personally wouldn't stay in Lausanne, as it's just too big and busy for my taste. There's little chance you'll get a place on the water, as there are mostly 4-star and 5-star hotels there -- the rest of the city is up on top of a hill.

What you can do is go to the town's website

www.montreux-vevey.com

go to the "accommodation" pages, choose if you want a B&B or a hotel, and input your dates. Then you'll see what's still available. I did that for your dates and found a b&b in Vevey and one in Rivaz (in the Lavaux)

Here's the B&B in Rivaz that is still free
www.vins-chappuis.ch

It looks pretty nice, with separate beds.

I also did that using the "hotels" button and found the Hotel du Leman (but it's quite isolated) and the Hotel Châtonneyre in the vineyards above Vevey.

You can do the same thing using booking.com. I just did that, and according to the site, there is 1 room left at Le Charlot guest house (it might be a room with 1 bed in it though). They also show availability at the Baron Tavernier in Chexbres (in the Lavaux), the Auberge du Raisin (right on the water in Cully, in the Lavaux), the Au Major Davel (also right on the water in Cully), and the Hotel le Rivage in Lutry.

So it seems that you still have some choice. There are many more hotels available at the 4-star and 5-star level.

Hope you find a great place!

s
Old May 20th, 2015, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi Swandav2000, I'm thinking I'd like to stay around $300-400 for the 3 nights stay. Is that possible? I'm kind of confused on exactly what I'll be paying in dollars. I need a private room and bath, to be centrally located because we are using trains and bus and able to get to Geneva airport in the morning of July 16th.I'd love to be near the water or have some kind of view if possible. Am I asking too much for this price range. I added an extra day so now we're staying three nights. I want to visit vineyards and do some local hiking. I'd love breakfast to be included but from what I see it seems to be costly to do that. We can always get a bite to eat at a little café. I'm trying to make it a special vacation for my 23yrold daughter who just graduated from college. I checked out the 3 bnb's and the first 2 were either unavailable or to costly and the last one was in german and French. I love bnb's but it doesn't seem to be working out. Please help! I was picking Lausanne because of cost and distance to airport. I'm open to your advice. I went on website for Lausanne and there is availability and pricing of Movenpick $519.00 and Ibis Lausanne Centre $372. What is your opinion of these places. I'd love to stay where your recommending but pricing seems high or unavailable. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks again, Pat
Old May 20th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi All, Just looking at the map and I checked out prices for Evian-Le-Bains and they're considerably lower. Should I be staying on the French side of Lake Geneva? I'd love to stay in Switzerland but the cost seems so much higher. Would love your opinion? Thanks, Pat
Old May 20th, 2015, 05:31 AM

Hi again,

Yes, prices are pretty high in Switzerland. Your budget of $300-400 for 3 nights comes to 280-374 chf, or 93 - 124 chf per night for 2 people. That's really low, even quite low for a single (most hotels in Switzerland charge by the person, not by the room). And quite low for the peak tourist months.

Again, I just don't like Lausanne, and I wouldn't stay there myself.

Yes, Evian-les-Bains will be cheaper. But that side of the lake doesn't get the sun like the southern side does, and of course you'll add about 30 to 45 minutes to every day to cross the lake by ferry to get to the vineyards.

I just checked booking.com again for your new dates. I got these results:

Le Leman Hotel in Vevey for 444 chf
Hotel de la Place in Vevey for 420 chf
Vevey Hotel and Guesthouse (it's a hostel) for 165 chf
Hotel Lavaux in Cully for 391 chf
Au Major Davel in Cully for 486 chf

I think those are about the best you're going to find that meet the criteria for price & convenience.

I hope you find a good spot!

s
Old May 20th, 2015, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi Swandav2000 Thank you for your recommendations!! I'm trying to decide between Le Leman in Vevey, Hotel Lavaux in Cully or Au Major David in Cully. What would be your choice for my situation with my daughter? Thanks again, Pat
Old May 20th, 2015, 07:25 AM

Hi again,

Hotel Le Leman is a bit isolated. It has views over the lake, but it's not right on the lake. It looks like it's close to a bus stop for bus #202, and it'll probably take no more than 5 minutes to go down to the lake or maybe 10 minutes to get to the train station. Here's it's website:

http://www.hotel-leman.ch/leman-hote...rooms/?lang=en

Hotel Lavaux is right on the main street through town, so if you have a problem with noise, it might affect you. Of course, it'll have views over the lake. Though it says it's in Cully, it look like it's just about 1 5-minute walk to the train station at Epesses. Here it's website:

http://www.hotellavaux.ch/pages/view/2

The Au Major Davel is right on the lake and maybe a 7-minute walk to the Cully train station. It's just steps from the Cully dock . . . which is a terrific thing. I've never stayed there, but I've eaten there, and its restaurant is well known.

http://www.hotelaumajordavel.ch/index.php/en/

You can see all of them at google maps if you go there, then do a search for (for instance) "Hotel Le Leman Vevey" and then "Hotel Lavaux Cully," etc. Google maps will show the location as well as the major roads and bus stops and train stations, so you can get a good idea how convenient each might be.

If it were me, I think splurge for the Au Major Davel, even though it's the most expensive of the 3. Having a room on the lake is a very special thing and really worth much more imo.

Good luck as you make the decision!

s
Old May 20th, 2015, 07:30 AM

Oh dear lord. I can't believe I made so many errors.

"Here's it's website" and "Here it's website" should be
Here's its website . . . Here's its website.

And, "If it were me, I think splurge for the Au Major Davel . . . " should be: "If it were me, I think I would splurge for . . ."

Sheesh. Sorry for getting the apostrophe wrong. And missing letters. And missing words.

s
Old May 20th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

I didn't even notice any of the grammatical errors. I just noticed what a great job you do helping people make decisions. That's the one I chose!! I love the location and I'm very excited! Now I'll be coming from Annecy on the 13th what do you think would be the best route to take by either bus or train? I also want to do a wine tasting or two in the caves and wondered what you'd recommend? Wondering what hikes you'd recommend in the area as well? Thanks for all your help!! Pat
Old May 20th, 2015, 08:33 AM

Oh, I'm glad it's been helpful for you!

You know, if you page through the images on the Au Major Davel's website, you'll be very happy with your decisions!!

I think I commented about getting from Annecy to the Lake Geneva area on your other thread. Just go to

www.gare-routiere.com

get the English pages, then on the drop=down menu, choose "Regular Lines Region Bordercross," and you'll find the schedule for the bus from Annecy to Geneva. At Geneva, get off at the bus station (Gare Routiere) and walk to the train station; then just take the train from Geneva to Cully.

Funny, but as often as I'm in Montreux, and as often as I've walked and biked the Lavaux, I've never tasted in any of the caves. A good friend likes the red wine caves of Lutry, so I guess I'll pass on that recommendation. There is also the Lavaux Vinorama in Rivaz, where for a fee you can taste all the wines from the whole region. You can walk between Cully and Rivaz along the lake in about an hour (or take the train).

I also like Lutry just as a town in itself -- it has a sign-posted walk of medieval buildings in town that's just wonderful to see. And the lakefront is beautiful, and it has a nice central old town as well.

One of my favorite walks is from Lutry to Cully, actually, or onward to Rivaz. It takes about 2h.

Some information on wine cellars:

http://www.montreux-vevey.com/en/gas...caveaux_prives

Some information on walks through the Lavaux:

http://www.montreux-vevey.com/en/Cul...rekking_Lavaux

Hope that keeps you busy!

s
Old May 20th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Sounds wonderful! Thank you for all your help!! Pat
Old May 20th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi Swandav2000, When I'm making the train reservations from Annecy to Geneva they ask first for the destination then the departure. Annecy comes up under destination and Geneva comes up under departure. Shouldn't that be the opposite if I'm going from Annecy to Geneva? I don't see the option to choose Annecy as the departure city and Geneva as the destination. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks, Pat
Old May 20th, 2015, 09:06 PM

Ok, I can see that "Geneva" is not offered as a choice of destination. If I choose my departure first and choose "Annecy," only two towns come up as destinations, and neither one is Geneva. I poked around the internet for any bus information from Annecy and didn't find anything.

So, here is the contact information for the Gare Routiere in Geneva:

[email protected]

Gare Routière de Genève
Place Dorcière
Case postale 2149
CH-1211 Genève 1
Suisse

I would just send them an email and ask how to buy a ticket. I bet that you could very easily buy a ticket just a day or two before departure -- though I'm a meticulous planner, and I love to have my tickets in hand.

On the schedule pdf from Gare Routiere, I also saw a phone number for the GR in Annecy:

+33/450.45.73.90

So, you can also call them, either from your home or once you're in France.

Sorry I can't help more, and sorry that it's so tough.

Good luck!

s
Old May 21st, 2015, 01:45 AM

Annecy - Geneva:
Do you want to travel by train or by bus?
Anyway, whatever you will choose, you don't need to book ahead. Open the timetable link I gave you above and you will see how many buses are running every day. As to the trains, you may have a look at http://www.ter.sncf.com/rhone-alpes/depliant/recherche
Old May 21st, 2015, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi Neckervd, I looked on the website but it's in French. Is there a way to change it to English? I'm fine traveling on either bus or train. What would you recommend. Is the travel time the same? Thank you swandav2000 for your information. Thanks, Pat