Search

travel anxiety

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travel anxiety

I'll be going on my very first trip far from home in a couple of days and I'm excited, yet terrified. I should be asleep but I think I'm having some sort of panic attack and I've worked myself into a frenzy. I was sort of expecting this would happen. Does anyone have any advice for a nervous traveler? I'm going to Hawaii from NY.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 08:49 PM

You probably should have posted this on the US board. But many of us know how you feel! There have been other threads about travel anxiety. You might want to try doing a search and see if you can pull up some of those threads. Reading them might make you feel better!

Meanwhile, try to relax and think about what a wonderful time you're going to have in Hawaii!

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:07 PM

Hi Polly, lots of people get anxiety before travelling, even those that have taken a lot of trips.

Try to make a list of what you are worried about..I had a friend do this once and it really helped her.

Are you ready to go? If not, double check your travel documents to make sure you have everything you need. Are you packed, if not do that. All this tomorrow of course not in the middle of the night.

I don't get travel anxiety but I do find if I have my luggage packed, my carryon and purse packed and in the entry hall the 2 nights before I am leaving it sure helps relax me. That way if emergencies etc. come up the day before I am leaving I at least don't have to worry about last minute travel preperations.

A hot shower or bath might help. Eat well but light. Maybe a glass of wine (but don't overdue it, lol).

Unless you are going to Hawaii due to some problem you will find Hawaii to be such a relaxing location to be in. Just try to go with the flow Polly, we all get anxiety attacks at one time or another and do just know it will pass.

Otherwise go to your Dr. tomorrow and see if your Dr. can give you something if your anxiety feels really out of control. Best wishes to you.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:19 PM

Ah yes, this happens once in a while. Meditation will help, you need to find a way to calm your mind. Already you've recieved some good advice.
Try breathing through your diaphram, long slow breaths that will expand slowly in your body. Then let them out slowly.
And take yourself through the steps of your vacation, visualizing all the wonderful things that you've planned.
I know it sounds airy-fairy but it works.
Remember thoughts become things so make them good things.
Have a blissful and blessed trip.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I don't know how this got in the Europe forum.. I thought I posted in US. Thanks for the advice though. I will certainly try it!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:11 AM

L84SKY, I always enjoy reading your posts. You always add a little Soul sense.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Thanks SeaUrchin,
Ditto, I often suspect we have caught the same wave.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Polly,
I love to travel as you can tell by my screen name but I get VERY nervous about flying. LoveItaly has an excellent suggestion - call your doctor and see if he would prescribe something for anxiety. My doctor has done this for me and it helps tremendously. Not only will it alleviate some of the anxiety but it should make it easier to sleep on the return (which is usually overnight from Hawaii). Good luck and have a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:23 PM

On my Ipod, I have a playlist entitled "Quiet." I always pull up those songs when I know something stressful will soon be happening. If I remember correctly, the selections of songs is about 90 minutes. I've never had to listen to the entire playlist before regaining calm.

Instead of "Quiet," you might have "Happy" or totally cliché travel music.

Have a terrific trip! Also, remember that chocolate covered macadamia nuts have healing powers. You can have plenty once you arive in Hawaii!

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:37 PM

I can tell you that I am an extremely nervous traveler too. I have whipped myself into many a frenzy over many trips.

I have gotten a little more relaxed over the last year or a little more. I had to travel so often, I think that I am getting used to it finally. My last trip I had no nerves at all. But got some wicked ear infection.

I actually have gotten myself quite sick. I usually come back a few pounds lighter. I am the type of person that when I get nervous, I cannot eat. I actually gained weight this trip. All that Belgian chocolate!

Now, is this just normal travel anxiety, or something more? Only you can answer that. You said that you sort of expected it to happen. That is why I ask that. I can tell you that I had every single symptom of anxiety disorder for many years. For me it was not just when I traveled. It was just a hundred times worse when I did travel though, because I felt so much would be out of my control. I have known that for many years and finally am doing something about it.

Either way, you should mention it to your doctor. Whether it is just nervous normal jitters, or more. He might be able to perscibe something for you.

If you know in your heart and mind that it is just normal jitters. Then maybe writing down your worries and fears, jotting down your packing list and checking it all once packed, and taking a lavendar bubble bath would be helpful.

I am all about planning and packing lists, and being organized. They make me feel more in control. I like to be packed way in advance.

I take along my favorite perfume, and books that are a comfort to me. My favorite pashmina or two.

I have always had a traveling spirit, and now my mind and body do too.

Have a wonderful trip to Hawaii. I am an ex-NYC girl BTW. I would love to go to Hawaii some day.

Best to you,

d