Travel all Over Europe

Search

Travel all Over Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel all Over Europe

My brother and I will be flying From Baltimore (BWI) to Shannon (SNN) on Aug. 2nd (arriving morning of 3rd) and plan on heading directly to London until Aug. 6th when we'll get over to Birmingham (BHX) and fly Amsterdam(6th-8th)(AMS), we'll spend the 9-10th in Copenhagen and Travel by train to Gothenburg 11th (We know people there so it'll be nice to have a free nights stay, from there we'll travel to Prague (PRG until the 14th and from Prague we'll head back to Ireland/Scotland until we leave on the 21st of August

This seems like quite a whirlwind trip and we decided to skip Paris this time around since we didn't think that we'd be able to do it justice in 1.5 days and that would be another day of travel that would take away from Ireland...it's possible there is something I'm missing with that statement

Here's the problem I've been searching planes and trains and such have come up with fairly reasonable/cheap solutions for getting around everywhere except for traveling from Gothenburg to Prague.

The sites I've been searching include
RyanAir
BmiBaby
Aer Lingus
WizzAir

My brothers and I are in our 20's and don't mind being flexible or staying in hostels/lesser hotels or dealing with the crazy carryon requirements of RyanAir and such

I just can't seem to find anyone that flies from Gothenburg to Prague for a reasonable price....maybe this is one of the legs of the trip that is just more expensive....but I'd really like to not pay $200 to make that flight when I've worked so hard to pay no more than $30 for any other single part of our trip

am I just missing a travel site somewhere? and do you all have any recommendations on what to see and what not to see in that grouping? other than Not seeing Dublin ;-)

thanks so much
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 04:59 PM

I've found these two sites helpful for flights planning in Europe. The first is a list of low coast European airlines and the second is a good site for searching flights in Europe. Note - prices increase closer to departure date. Also note Ryanair's additional fees for baggage and other fees - their enticingly low prices seem aren't so enticing once you add all the fees and taxes.

http://www.etn.nl/lcosteur.htm

http://www.edreams.com/edreams/english/
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 07:20 AM
ira

t
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 07:54 AM

try using www.whichbudget.com or www.skyscanner.net

Remember that Goteborg is only three hours by fast (X2000) train to Stockholm where there may be more budget flights.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 08:46 AM

And don't forget overnight trains - i take them a lot - wake up half way across Europe - don't pay for a night's hotel, etc. flying is a great way to connect two far removed places but if you go to Europe and only see a handful of cities and their airports you are missing seeing the Europe in between as you would on the train and on the train you will meet tons of Europeans your age as well. For loads of info on European trains (and railpasses - you should at least consider the bargain Eurail Youthpasses - if under 26 - www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Another thought..take the daily (leaves at 1900 hours) ferry on the StenaLine from Goteborg to Kiel (arrives at 0900 or so the next morning); transfer to the train station (walkable) and take the train to Hamburg (they leave every hour) transfer there to a train for Berlin to Prague or one of the possible direct Hamburg-Prague connections.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 09:13 AM

And another option is to take a train from Goteborg to Malmo's port - Trelleborg i think from where a boat crosses the Baltic and meets a train that goes onto Berlin, which is a few hours by rail from Prague. Actually i think some trains cars may go on the boat. day and overnight sailings.