Travel AK (After Kids)

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 11:54 AM
Ron

Travel AK (After Kids)

My wife and I have spent the first 5 years of our marriage childless and enjoying the things that help make life interesting, including a health dose of travel. Over that time we have encountered countless people who have told us how lucky we are and how smart we were to do these things before we had kids. Well...here's the punchline, we are expecting our first in July (conceived at Hotel Cloitre Saint Louis, Avignon France thank you very much). Last I checked, small children, although sometimes not welcome, were permitted on commercial airplanes, and with proper documentation were allowed to cross into most contries. While recognizing that things will be different and perhaps more challenging, I see no reason why we should feel that we can't continue to do the things we love. And before some of you jump all over me and tell me that I am selfish and that my child is now the center of my universe, let me just say that I want to raise children who see themselves in the context of the broader world in which they live and I can think of no better way than to instill in them, at a young age, the wanderlust that I know many of you experience.

Now...Any advice from some who know of where I speak.

Ron

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 12:10 PM
Liz

Congratulations Ron! We too have travelled with our kids since they were quite young and now at 10 & 11 they are experts. Don't let anyone tell you to keep them at home, from a very early age they start sucking in the knowledge. Travel is the best education in the world! My kids tell me about things we did on holidays when they were 3 years old. I can't even remember those things! It will be difficult at first, but don't give up, things will get easier and easier. Have fun on your adventure of a lifetime!

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 12:19 PM
Cindy

Ron, like you, my husband and I had plenty of travel and fun before the kids came. Our new philosophy now that we have three young kids is that we are glad we did the exotic travel before the kids came. Now we are free to experience great destinations close to home that the kids can handle and enjoy. These are places we would have overlooked had we not had kids to slow us down. When the kids are old enough to appreciate it, we plan to expose them to more demanding trips. My main advice, then, is to take advantage of your temporarily restricted mobility and sapped energy to take it easy and travel to kid-friendly places. After all, this is the only time of your life you're likely to really fit in and feel comfortable at those types of kid-friendly destinations, so make the most of it.

Just my opinion. Good luck with the new baby. Kids are great!

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 12:31 PM
herself

Congratulations!
You are on a new adventure. Kids will push the envelope to its limit and, you will grow. Just don't be too rigid in your expectations. As a parent I was made to eat all those "When I have kids, they will … and I will…..". Relax, If you and your wife have the energy to travel, and the child does not suffer from it, and then go for it. You will figure it out when the time comes. However, do enjoy the moment. Life changes and time goes by quickly.
from mom, mom, mom, mom

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 03:56 PM
nancy

Ron,
congratulations!
But, like Herself, I too, learned to eliminate certain words from my vocabulary.
It is so easy, while childless to say things like,
"When I am a parent, I will *never*
do (fill in the blank)
I learned to *never* say Never.
But good luck!
And there are some threads here that do have good tips on what you are after, when you wade through all the crankpots.
Nancy

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 08:08 AM
Jane

Expect a little adjustment to get used to the new type of travel. But after the first couple of trips, you'll probably have no problem. Unless you get a colicky baby - which is really just the luck of the draw. Be flexible. You may want to stick to local trips for the first year just to get the hang of it.

We love travelling with our son, even though, like most kids, he/she will complain some of the time. But this is normal and, trust me, you get used to it. When you travel to other countries, you'll be surprised how much nicer and friendlier everyone is because you are with your family. Most people are family-oriented and seem pleased that you thought enough of their country to bring your children to enjoy it. And they're anxious to be helpful.

Best tips: 1)Always try and stay in one place at least for three nights. We go for at least a week to one location so that our son can "settle" in. 2)We always stay at apts/cottages. All the comforts of home. Make daytrips, no hassle over travel and packing all the "stuff" you need especially with small children. 3) Include something in your daily activity that is of interest to your child. You will be surprised at how much fun and unexpected adventures come out of this. 4) If your child's ears hurt on the plane, have them suck on a bottle of juice. If that doesn't work, ask the steward(ess) to bring you two plastic cups with napkins soaked in very hot water in the bottom of them (not dripping). Put cups over child's ears. This works. I understand from another poster on this board that it also works for adults. 5) bring books to read to your child at lunch - especially good if you have a picnic. All kids love to be read to. They will look forward to it.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 09:05 AM
dyana

My 2 cents are--When the child(ren) are babies until about 7 or 8, I would stick to kid friendly places and somewhat close to home--doesn't mean you cannot hop on a plane. I think that is good for your own sanity and travel ease. And since perhaps you have had the opportunity to see your 'dream about' places already, going to say Disney World (ugh-but most kids love), or a coastal beach vacation, etc will 'tide you over'until you can then take your kids back to your favored locales or venture to other locales. That has worked for us! Even now, the kids needs do flavor the trip plans--for instance in booking a trip to Europe with my pre teens and teenagers, I have chosen hotels that have pools, so the kids can have down time and relax. All sights and no "fun" make for cranky kids sometimes.My kids have seen a great deal of the US, and we are now exploring Europe little by little, trip by trip. We have a lot of fun as a family, although I also recommend taking a no-kids trip, say a long weekend, every so often. Enjoy parenthood---it is an experience like no other, and as another post-er said

NEVER say never--