Travel agents-yes or no?

Search

Travel agents-yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel agents-yes or no?

Buongiorno Fodorites! I plan on traveling to the Amalfi Coast next July. Basing my itinerary on the recommendations on this message board I plan to fly into Naples from Seattle and take a ferry to Capri for 3 days staying at the La Minerva Hotel. Next, Positano for 3 days at the Villa Rosa Rm 18. Ravello for 3 days at the Parsifal and then Sorrento for 5 days at the Grand Vittorio Excelsior with day trips to Pompeii and Paestum. I was wondering if I should enlist the services of a travel agent (cost $100) to make all travel arrangements and plane reservations or should I try to make those reservations on the internet by contacting the hotels directly through email myself? Grazie for your opinions about my itinerary as well.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 01:59 PM
PJK

Along with most people who write in to this board, I would tell you to make your own reservations and pocket the $100. However, depending on your income and time constraints, you might make a case for your time being more valuable than the money. I have made all my own hotel and air reservations for several European trips. Most hotels have web sites and email and fax machines. I always take a copy of the confirmation and rate. Hotels have always honored my reservations and the rates quoted, but I think having their email in my hand is not a bad idea just in case of a problem. Occasionally, I have had travel agents find better deals on airfare than I found independently, but they have never charged for that service. Someone on this board can almost always give you helpful information about any topic, so use the search button to find out what has already been discussed, and then post away for new information. The Amalfi Coast is heaven. Enjoy yourself.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 02:18 PM
cmt

I'd say definitely NO. I've never found travel agents helpful, except for making plane reservations, when I wasn't ready to make big purchases over the internet yet. I have not found them at all helpful at making hotle reservations, since they seem to contact limited hotels that have some representative who deals with travel agents. It is easy enough to contact hotels by Fax (or e-mail, if they are good with e-mail, but often they're not) and get your own confirmations by Fax.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 02:25 PM

CMT is correct. Except I always do my airline reservations on the internet. Search Expedia, etc and then go on the airlines websites. Many times they will have cheaper fares than the consolidators. Check many airlines. The first time we went to Italy we had a travel agent do the reservations. They contact the ones that give them commission. Do it yourself. All the hotels are wonderful and helpful and easy to deal with.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 02:36 PM

Since the wonders of the internet, I am my own personal travel agent!!I dont really need them, besides most of the time I knew more about places around the world than some.. But of course , not everyone belongs to that category and there are many travel agents, that are very efficient and have extensive knowledge of the world.
Beside is more fun to plan and to check the internet for places to go and stay and if you are in doubt ask somebody here at fodors...
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 02:40 PM
cmt

I do airline res. on the Internet now, too. I just took me a while to get used to that idea. Then in Feb. 2002 I found a $268 round trip Newark/Milan over the Internet and that quickly cured me of my prejudice against making large purchases over the Internet!

In the "old days" when I did use travel agents, I found them surprisingly ignorant about even very standard popular destinations. I remember being told that some neighbornood in London was right near Bloomsbury, when in fact it was a long ride away on the underground. And when i was looking for some Caribbean distination as an alternative to my favorite St. John, U.S.V.I., I was told that St. John was a terrible place to go alone. The agent's idea of a "good" place was some awful place with gigantic hotel that I wouldn't even want to go to if it were free. I returned to St. John, of course.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 02:50 PM

When I was planning my trip to Italy I visited with a travel agent just to see what they would recommend and see what deal I could get.

It was much more costly thru the travel agent (I got a much better deal on the airfare by myself). Plus they always recommend the typical "group tour" which is so not what I was looking for.

There is no need for a travel agent with websites like this. I ended up planning the trip myself and it was the best trip I have ever taken. Plus it is fun to do it yourself.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:38 PM
lyb

Aneck,

I've never heard of a travel agent charging the traveler. They make their money from commission from the airlines, hotels, tour operators, etc.. If your travel is charging $100 up front, it's a definite NO!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 08:15 PM

I used to work in the airline industry.
I have to answer yes and no to this question. Yes...because I encountered agents that really seemed to care about their clients..really going the extra mile..these agents I found to be very knowledgeable and quite professional..always a pleasure to work with..
No...because there were those who just wanted the booking and then they were on to their next client..many did not even care about making seat assignments for their clients...
To their credit the airlines have cut the travel agents commissions so yes some have to charge a fee..after all they are in the service business...
Just like with anything ask friends of yours...also you might check into those who are available 24/7...American Express and Carlson Wagonlit were good, for expample,in that if we had to get a hold of passengers due to flight cancellation or schedule change we could get a hold of their agent at any time of the night. It is imperative that if you work with an agent...go ahead and call the airlines,hotels etc...and give YOUR contact information... Far too many times Travel Agents would not put customer information in record and you could imagine passengers surprise when he/she got to the airport to find out about a schedule change or cancellation. If you book through a Travel Agent ..THEY are responsible for notifying you...Airlines have a responsiblilty no doubt..but if the Travel agents do not make passenger contact information available...how are the airlines to notify you...It is usually at the "off" hours that things can occur.
The last thing I will say is that the internet has made it possible for people to have the freedom of choice. The freedom to plan etc.....
What is wonderful about travel today is that there is so much available to the consumer. But if you want that special trip there are those agents that do specialize in a specific area and can be a wealth of information. The trick is to seek them out and find out who is truly worth their weight.
Aneckc...whatever you decide you are at an advantage..there is a wealth of informtion on the web. I think also people here on Fodors will be quite frank about their experiences.
I wish you the best in your planning..
The bottom line is that it is YOUR trip. You need to do something within your comfort level. Personally I think that with some careful research you can be your own Travel Agent.....
Best of luck...
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 03:38 AM
Bootman4U

I think one "problem" with using a travel agent is finding one that really KNOWS what your tastes are, etc., or, if you're lucky, has actually BEEN to some of the places you are considering for a visit and can sepak with some sort of assurance....and then there's the "trust factor" in terms of the agent's opinion. When I hear the words "charming" "compact" "rustic" "touristy" I immediately get suspicious since I doubt there is mass agreement on what those terms mean.
So, what to do? A lot of us have had evidently great success in booking things ourselves, doing the research, looking at websites, using forums like this one for OPINIONS and feedback, etc....but that takes work and, personally, sometimes it is easier to trust someone you can eyeball rather than someone who is an anonymous poster of information.
I stopped using travel agents when I found out, to my great dismay, I already knew a lot more (it seemed) about the place(s) i wanted to visit than the agent did.
Bottom line: make the arrangements yourself and the work that goes with it and you have full control, and only yourself to blame if something goes wrong...just call it part of the "adventure." BUT you've already DECIDED on your itinerary and maybe even know the establishments you want to stay in...I'd say try doing it yourself at least once...I think once you've done so successfully you'll stop even considering using an agent.

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:03 AM
ira

Hi aneckc,

TA's are useful if you don't know what you should see/do. Since you already have a detailed itinerary planned, you don't need a TA.