Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveing to Europe for the first time please help me !!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 08:17 AM
Leslie

Author: Leslie (Leslie [email protected]) <BR>Date: 3/11/1999, 12:20 am ET <BR> <BR> <BR>Message: I will be traveling to Italy at the end of April-Milan and I need sugguestions on places that I should go to in and around Milan. I will be there for 5 days and I would love to go further out but I'm just not sure what is the best way to get around. Also how far is Milan from Venice and the ocean in hours? I desperatlely want to see the coastline. <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 08:52 AM
Santanu Datta

Venice and Florence are short train rides (2 hours)from Milan and inexpensive. You probably can't do both and Milan in 5 days but either one you choose will be great. Good luck and have fun.

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 03:42 PM
Monica

Hello Leslie, <BR> <BR>In my opinion, you will enjoy Milan in about 1-1/2 days (see the Cathedral, the Last Supper, and window shop). Head to Venice where it is great! I loved my trip to Venice last May. It's about a 2 hour train ride from Milan to Venice.

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 10:16 PM
Bill Fleites

Hi Leslie, <BR>If your five days do not include travel time to/from Italy. Then I would go directly from Milano to Firenze. Spend 2 days in Firenze and see the wonderful art there. Then I would go to Venezia and spend three days there before <BR>heading back to Milano. Milano is just not as interesting a city as either Firenze or Venezia. <BR> <BR>If your 5 days include travel to/from Italy. Then I would take the train to Venezia, and stop along the way at Verona (remember Romeo & Juliet ?) and Vicenza. Both of which are in the route between Milano & Venezia. The following train trip times should give you an idea as to the travel time between these three cities. <BR> <BR>Milano to Firenze 2hr 40min <BR>Firenze to Venezia 2hr 40min <BR>Venezia to Milano 3hr <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip, Italy is great! <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 08:36 AM
elvira

Unfortunately, the Last Supper is closed for repairs through May (it's open Easter week only). The Duomo (cathedral) is interesting; Sforza Castle is interesting; da Vinci Museum is interesting. Milan is not a pretty town at all. A lot of it was destroyed during WWII and rebuilt in postwar industrial style. In addition, almost every building and fountain/monument is covered in graffiti. Via Montenapoleone and Vittorio Emmanuel Gallery are very nice, but if you've shopped 5th Avenue, Rodeo Drive, or Neiman-Marcus, you've been there. You're only a short train ride from Lake Como (you can go to Como or Varenna by train, then take a ferry to Bellagio or any number of very pretty towns on the lakeshore), which I would recommend as a nice day trip.