Trattorias/Bars/Restaurants Open Sunday & Monday in Monti (or other)Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In looking through all the recommended small bars, trattorias, eateries in the Monti section of Roma, I am seeing all saying "closed Sundays" or "closed Sundays and Monday lunch". Since we are going to be there from a Friday to a Tuesday, does anyone have any recos for places either in Monti, or elsewhere, that are good food, well priced and open on those days. Thanks a lot !!
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 11:26 AM

Sunday lunch is something of a tradition in Rome (and pizza for dinner!), so you are bound to find enough places open (can't speak for Monti specifically) near the places you will be that day for sightseeing. As a business day, a great many simple trattorie in Rome will be open for lunch. so again, I would first make up your sightseeing plan, and then figure out what's good nearby that is open, unless you are looking for a destination lunch or dinner for those days.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 11:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't give you any specific recommendations as our stay in Monti was quite a few years ago, but honestly, you don't need to worry. There are loads of places that open Sundays and Mondays - we had no problem even on Easter Sunday evening.

if you use google maps and then search for restaurants, you will see how many there are!
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 11:39 AM

Sorry -- my post wasn't clear ... I meant to say that since Monday is a business day, and presumably you will be out and about sightseeing, finding lunch shouldn't be a problem. For Monday dinner, I highly recommend Hostaria Nerone, which is a stone's throw from the Colosseo metro stop.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Grazie mille for your replies and help !!
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 11:42 AM

PS: Nerone is also open for Monday lunch, and most natives of Rome do not go restaurant hopping, so you would be quite welcome to eat there twice in one day, even doted upon, and you could not easily work your way through the menu even if you stayed 10 days in the area. One of the great things about Nerone is its plethora of lovely dishes of vegetables, which are otherwise sometimes lacking in variety in many Italian eateries, and you can end up craving them.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 01:20 PM

Al vino al vino is open every evening. La barrique is open mondays.
Aromaticus & tricolore are both open all day sunday.
Anto is open sunday lunch.
Enoteca provincia romana (simple but good hyper local trattoria) is open mondays.
Trattoria monti (the marches) is open sunday lunch.
Emma (best roman style (thin crust) pizza) is open every day.
Li rioni is open sundays and mondays.

Further away, flavio velavevodetto & cesare al casaletto are great trattoria and open sundays and mondays.
Armando al pantheon is good and open mondays.
Many more exist.....
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

SUPER !!! Thanks !!
Old Jan 31st, 2015, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Which restaurant, preferably in the Monti area, but willing to go elsewhere if REALLY highly recommended, would any of you knowledgeable people suggest for a birthday celebratory dinner during our short visit there in about a month and a half?
Thanks!!
Old Jan 31st, 2015, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

I should specify that it does NOT have to be on a Sunday or Monday. We will be there also Friday and Saturday nights so it could be any night.
Old Jan 31st, 2015, 12:53 PM

Within the range of Italian cuisine, what sort of food do you prefer and will have just arrived in Italy or been eating elsewhere for awhile. Also, what's your max price, including wine?
Old Jan 31st, 2015, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

We prefer true Roman cuisine, looking for a place that is not stuffy and has a dress code. We like a place that will serve "a portion of food" and not "samples" as my husband likes to call them. And so nothing Michelin-starred type. A place that has a good reputation with locals and indeed somewhere not frequented and not known in travel books and the like. Max price is probably about 200 Euros per couple including wine. But could go a bit higher if needed. Thanks
Old Jan 31st, 2015, 10:56 PM

Cesare al casaletto has great roman food' terrific wines, is open on all nights of your visit (wait, when exactly will you be here? They close feb 15 for a month). Flavio is a contender. I used to suggest roscioli but i don't anymore as the service can make or break your experience. Do consider all oro and pipero al rex - i know you don't want michelin stars, and they both do have one each, but they are not too formal, have some great roman dishes (pipero's carbonara is famous and you can order it in multiples of 50g portions ) and could fit into your budget. Do have a look at both.
Old Feb 1st, 2015, 12:33 AM

I think you are going to have hard time finding a "recommendation-worthy" restaurant that isn't already mentioned in guide books, food blogs and food "apps". I suggest Armando al Pantheon for outstanding and substantial Roman dishes served with care (by caring people!) and no fuss. The menu is online so you can see if that's what you want. Booking for later in the evening -- 8.30 or 8.45 -- will net you a more local crowd. It is well within your budget, including wine.
Old Feb 1st, 2015, 06:04 AM

Download Eluzabeth Minchilli's app "Eat Rome"....you can get great info on restaurant, including hours of operation, and sort by neighborhood.