Trattoria Anzolo Raffael in Venice

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trattoria Anzolo Raffael in Venice

Has anyone eaten there recently? It got a rave review in Fred Plotkin's book but it hasn't been updated in several years. Thanks.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 05:00 PM

I bought Plotkin's book years ago and I'm still trying to figure out who gave Fred Plotkin any authority to write about food.

Trattoria Anzolo Raffael is not that special although eating there is a unique experience. The place is a dive in a very remote corner of Dorsoduro. There is almost no ambience, unless dull, drab, old, poorly lit and rundown is your idea of romance. There's no English spoken here and you can forget the fritto misto that Fred brags about unless the owner feels like making it and at least two people order it. The wife basically tells you what she'll cook and you just nod and say yes unless you're willing to challenge her in Italian. The wine was also as dull as the ambience. I'm not saying don't go. But I am saying leave Fred Plotkin's book behind.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Okay, but how is the food?
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:47 PM

As previous post,it is a little non-frill family run place;but last winter I had couple simple but well-cooked seafood meals quite satisfactory,and very reasonable priced too.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 03:36 AM

"Okay, but how is the food?"

The food was fine. How many ways can grandma boil fish you've never seen before and can't identify, served with a drizzle of olive oil? Does polenta turn you on? There isn't that much creativity going on in Venice kitchens because Italians, especially Venetians, like the same old thing all the time. The menu is small so take the wife's suggestions as I'm sure she's pushing what she bought that morning.

We're talking home-style here. VERY provincial. Nothing innovative. Yes, it's a unique experience but I don't long to return. Yes, it was inexpensive. I've never seen the place packed and I've never witnessed any locals eating there. I presume they're all at home cooking the same menu.

Who knows what happened to Fred.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 10:59 AM
ira

Dear Wesley,

For some of us, your critical review is a recommendation.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 06:07 PM

When I visit another country, I like to try the everyday foods that the locals eat. I consider it an essential part of my travel experience. Sounds as though Trattoria Anzolo Raffael is ideal.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 06:12 AM

I reiterate, "I'm not saying don't go."

There are many places like this in Venice and most are located in areas where few tourists are found and no English is spoken. Anyone who loves adventure should explore Fondamenta Nove, Cannaregio, and Castello and report back with their experience.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 04:16 PM

Wesley, What restaurants do you recommend in Venice?
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 04:53 AM

O.K .....So based on earlier postings, I purchased Plotkin's book,not realizing how long ago it had been published.We will be in Rome for a week in April.Also purchased Gambero Rosso.Favorites there?? Please help with more curent suggestions on restaurants in Rome that are very good and are in the "less than $100. for two" range.Less would be even better!!!!!!
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 05:29 AM

Plotkin? Gag me!

Well, caroll, at least you're supporting the economy.

Dear, there are hundreds of wonderful places in Rome that are less than $100 for two. Read your Gambero Rosso and pick.

wesley, nice take on Raffael. I've had more fun at a funeral.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the Gambero Rosso suggestion. I have purchased the book,and will take it to Rome knowing that prices wil be at least 30% above those published,due to the decline of the dollar.Will be happy to share our experience.