Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trastevere: Safe for a single gal to stay?

Old Aug 15th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Visiting Italy (Venice, Florence, Siena, Montalcino, Rome, Orvieto) for the first time in October & am very intrigued by and tempted to stay in a hotel in Trastevere while in Rome. That said...

Since I will be traveling alone, would that choice be OK safety-wise? From all that I've heard/read, I'm not really concerned about the Trastevere neighborhood itself. But how about walking to and fro the city center at night?

I will appreciate any/all advice.

Thank you!
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 02:00 AM

If you mean walking around in the evening I think you'll be fine. I wouldn't walk around any city late at night alone.

Why will you be going into the center city at night? Clubbing? Spring for a taxi if returning late. Taxis in Rome are not very expensive. You can call Radio Taxi - they have English speaking dispatchers. Their stickers are on almost every Roman public telephone. You'll need to get a phone card to make the calls (if you don't have a cell phone).

Trastevere has good, inexpensive restaurants for dining and the square around Santa Maria church has cafes for after dinner glasses of wine or coffee. There's always lots of activity here for some post dinner people watching entertainment so you might not need to go out of Trastevere every evening.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 02:13 AM

i may be alone in this, but i find the trastevere area to be a bit claustrophobic. i also feel that it has that "close to nothing" feel. now, that's spoken purely as a short-term tourist; i think it would be an amazing place to stay for an extended period. (each time we've visited rome, it's been for only 3-4 nights.)

as a tourist, i prefer to be around the spanish steps, as i feel that you can walk almost anywhere, at any time of night, pretty easily and quickly. In that area, you seem to just stumble upon incredible statues and sites, such as the pantheon.

sounds like a wonderful trip... and sure hope i can visit those places in october some day, rather than the heat of the summer! have a great time.
kawh

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 03:00 AM

I stayed in Trastevere on both my trips to Rome - its wonderful - buses, trams bring you to the "center" and easy access to the Vatican. I also loved that it felt so self contained with just about everything you wanted or needed plus the largest outdoor flea market is a stones throw away - Sunday morning at Porto Portuguese (?). My daughters walked home every night from the square and clubs and they felt totally comfortable. Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 05:59 AM

Hi Julpal, check the Arco del Lauro b&B, go to trip Advisor. We stayed there and loved. I think it will very nice for you. It is great to be in the Trastevere, you will have no problem. Be alert and use common sense like in any city.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Were I alone (I'm a woman), I would give myself the option for cabs or buses to get back to Trastevere after 10pm. In particular I would avoid routes that involved crossing the Tiber near the Vatican and talking the long walk from there and the Gianicolo to the Piazza Santa Maria.

On one of my first trips to Roma, a single female friend who lived in Trastevere first offered me her apartment, then found me a hotel in Trastevere, and she was super protective! I'd definitely rather be in Trastevere than near the Spanish Steps (which is, by the way, Roma's legendary pick up spot) because of the historic atmosphere. Trastevere, like all of the rest of Roma, has its good spots and more questionable spots. I wouldn't walk around some of its dead-end, ancient back streets after dark.

So I would be choosy about where I booked and what routes I took home at night. When you get down to picking a specific accommodations, post your choices here and on the Slow Travel website, and I'm sure you'll get great advice.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your responses!

To clarify my intentions, I don't expect to go out clubbing at night and return in the wee hours of the morning. I was thinking more of nights where I may want to see the Spanish Steps/Piazza Navona/Campo de Fiori areas in twilight, or cross over to the other side of the Tiber to grab a gelato from a fabulous gelaterria I've heard of--you know, the really important things. ;-)

That said, I'd probably look to walk back to the hotel when restaurants/cafes start to close - 23:00ish?

My top two contenders for hotels at this point (and I'm considering either spending all 5 of my nights in Rome in one of these two, or splitting it up into 3 nights in one, 2 in the other to get to experience both neighborhoods) are:
- Residenza San Pantaleo (near Piazza Navona)
- Hotel Domus Tiberina (in Trastevere).

Any thoughts?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
julie
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Hi julpal03, In general, and only from a tourist's stand point, I'd say stay near the Piazza Navona. I got a sense of there being more going on in the evenings there. I'd bow to zeppole's opinion on this though. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:01 AM

I would choose 1 hotel for the 5 nights rather than spend time packing/unpacking and getting to another hotel. Piazza Navona and Trastevere aren't all that far from each other although they are different types of area.

I don't know the hotels you're looking at so I can't comment on them but it's a tough choice between the 2 areas. I like them both. I love the feel of Trastevere and the inexpensive cafes and restaurants. It's more of a working class area than a tourist area (other than Pizza Santa Maria).

Since it's your first time in Rome I would go with the Piazza Navona. Somehow it feels right for a first timer to be more in the thick of the action and near that beautiful square. You'll also be very near the Pantheon and Campo dei Fiore to wander around in the evening.

Just off Campo dei Fiore I can recommend a good restaurant - Pier Luigi (I think it's on Via Monserrato but can check further if you're interested). Wonderful food and service and not terribly expensive. Also a gorgeous and flirty waiter named Georgio who brought us free drinks! In a land of good looking men he was definitely over the top!
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:08 AM

I was in Rome in January (w/another) and we walked to and from Trastevere at night a few times. Because I was with someone I felt safer. Having said that at 11:00 ( it was winter), the streets were almost empty going back toward the center. Within a couple of blocks of the historic center there were lots of people. We walked a path through the Jewish Quarter. Alone? I would have felt uncomfortable and I travel alone quite a bit. People always will say how safe everything is in Europe and while that is mostly true it is still scary for me personally to be walking alone at night in areas that seem very empty save for one or two lone people. I guess I feel more vulnerable. If traveling alone I in Rome I would stay in the historic center near Piazza Navona or the Pantheon or Campo Fiore. The whole area has quiet streets but within a quarter block there is action so to speak and not matter what time we walked around things were lively. And in what might seem a contradiction to the above, the pick pockets etc will be in the area with the most tourists, but that I feel I can handle?
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:34 AM

In recent years I have found areas like Piazza Navona and Piazza Spagna to be overwhelmed by tourists, especially.

I think staying in a predominantly Roman neighborhood (yes its touristic but still residential) is much more attractive. Fruit vendors and people going to do their dailing marketing in the am, etc.) It will be quieter at night and in the morning but that doesnt mean dangerous. Id expect more sleaze in the tourist areas than in Trastevere. Its a quick trip by foot, tram or bus into the centro and, with its ancient churches, plenty historic on its own.
good luck!
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:38 AM

I don't know either of the hotels but I think I would be inclined to go with the Piazza Navona neighborhood rather than Trastevere

My husband, son and I rented an apartment in the Jewish ghetto neighborhood across the Tiber from Trastevere in February 2007. We walked back from Trastevere over the Isola Tiberina several evenings after dinner. Although I enjoyed this walk very much with my family and think it is a safe neighborhood, I would have been a little nervous on my own.
The #8 tram does run from the Largo Argentina down Via Arenula and across Ponte Garibaldi which would shorten your walk in the quieter streets
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:47 AM

I always stay very near the Piazza Navona, because it's my favorite spot. I do think for what you want, that area would be better. Plenty of people around, even late at night, lots to see, plenty of good restaurants. I have never felt uncomfortable walking around that area at night. It's also a great location for good bus connections.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Check out your Trastevere choice over on the Slow Travel reviews and message board just to see if anybody knows the place. (I don't.)

Nobody should bow to my opinions about anything, and not Roma, because there is lots of it I haven't even seen. My experience of walking back and forth across the Tiber at night is a lot like chevre's. There are places around Campo de'Fiore, the Jewish quarter and Trastevere where I pick up my pace walking at night, whereas I don't around the major piazze of Navona or delle Rotunda.

If you don't mind packing up and moving (I wouldn't), I might spring for the 2 different places, partly for fun and the difference in atmosphere but also because staying all the time in Trastevere will mean a harder time getting to the Villa Borghese and other sites, or some tiring walks home -- and little appeal to popping back into your hotel in the middle of the day when you feel like it (and thus more money spent in cafes, just to sit down). But 2 nights in Trastevere might give you the taste of something just a little different in rhythm, and you can organize your touristing take advantage of that area's proximity to the Vatican if you plan to spend time there.

But don't tell them on the Slow Travel website you are considering two different beds in one Italian city in the space of five days! They'll have heart attacks.

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:02 AM

I have to say that I definitely wouldn't want to change hotels half-way through a short stay in Rome. Too much wasted time. But of course, that's up to you.