Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trastevere restaurants under 20/25 euros a person? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trastevere-restaurants-under-20-25-euros-a-person-720406/)

dutyfree Jul 12th, 2007 08:21 PM

Trastevere restaurants under 20/25 euros a person?

Does anyone have a favorite restaurant in Trastevere (Rome) that would have outside seating;great inexpensive house wine;possibly grilled calamari (?);wonderful pasta and appetizers,etc. Our airline crew keeps going to the same 10-12 restaurants because everyone has a favorite. Please-we have to break out of our regulars so if you would be kind enough to suggest a favorite of yours I would be most appreciative!

ellenbw Jul 12th, 2007 08:27 PM

I have a wonderful one for you:
Al Fontanone
Piazza Trilussa 46 near Ponte Sisto
Don't miss the stuffed squash blossoms, fried roman artichokes and the funghi porcini pasta... their tiramisu is the best that I have ever had, very light, wonderful. They are very nice there.

dutyfree Jul 12th, 2007 08:29 PM

Do you have a phone number so we could make a reservation for next week? Thanks!

ellenbw Jul 12th, 2007 08:59 PM

The phone is 06 581 7312
They are closed on tuesdays and Wed lunch as well as Aug 20-Sep 18.

BarbaraS Jul 12th, 2007 11:24 PM

dutyfree - I'm staying in Trastevere on a future trip, maybe you could post the crew's 10 - 12 favorite restaurants for me.

Thanks!

doofus74 Jul 13th, 2007 02:33 AM

hi, you can find a list of some restaurants here..

http://www.romanreference.com/rome.php

The site for Al Fontanone is here..

http://www.alfontanone.com/

Vttraveler Jul 13th, 2007 03:29 AM

You could also consider going across the Tiber to the ghetto area. There are a lot of good restaurants there in a similar type of neighborhood.

Vttraveler Jul 13th, 2007 04:07 AM

I probably should have listed some specific restaurants in the Ghetto. Da Giggetto is quite well-known. It is right next to the Portica d'Ottavia. Might go over your budget amount a little there. Tel. 39 06 6861105

We also liked a smaller, less expensive restaurant right near it, Al Portico at 1 via del Portico d'Ottavio.
telephone 06 68 64 642

gohedwig Jul 13th, 2007 06:36 AM

Dutyfree
Just returned from 1 week in Trastevere. Two favorites, informal: Da Lucia, in the Vicolo del Mattonato (“the little street paved with bricks”). Like many of these smaller places, they take neither bookings nor credit cards. The same applies at Da Augusto, a few streets away in the Piazza de’ Renzi.
Gohedwig

dutyfree Jul 13th, 2007 12:20 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions-keep them coming! The crews usually eat around Piazza Navona,Via Veneto,Spanish Steps,etc. as its quite a hike to Trastevere from our hotel.Everyone likes the long walks but since I am old,fat and have a bad knee I don't want to walk that far after eating and drinking (and walking across the Atlantic the past night).I usually take the bus and then tram from Argentina so was trying to convince "the gang" that for next week that we should do something different.(Besides,I like to go to Orviesse and Standa over there.)I appreciate all ideas as long as they are not these restaurants where you are all spending 50 -100 euros a person.

aloveindy Jul 13th, 2007 06:32 PM

bookmark

AmanteDelLimoncello Jul 13th, 2007 07:04 PM

bookmarking

dutyfree Jul 15th, 2007 10:44 AM

Still looking for anyone else's favorite before I leave Tuesday in case I cannot get reservations or get in at some of those suggested..........

smoot60 Jul 15th, 2007 10:57 AM

bookmarking

scrb Jul 15th, 2007 11:39 AM

We need to bring this thread to the attention of the guy who's got the Google Maps of Rome restaurants.

MagicGOE Jul 16th, 2007 05:10 PM

bookmark

plafield Jul 16th, 2007 06:00 PM

We loved Popi-Popi, Via delle Fratte di Trastevere, 45 (tel.06-5895167.) Very lively, plenty of outdoor seating, fantastic food and great house wine, all well within your price range. We didn't have pasta here, but the calamari and fried artichoke were amazing, the pizza to die for and the best tiramisu I've ever eaten anywhere!

Lemani in Pasta is also wonderful, but doesn't have outdoor seating. However, they did have the best pasta we had in 2 weeks of traveling through Italy and everything else we ate there was also fabulous and very inexpensive.(www.lemaniinpasta.com. Via dei Genovesi, 37 tel. 06.581 6017)

i_am_kane Oct 6th, 2007 10:35 AM

dutyfree, This is a list of restaurants (with notes) I took with me in June, 2006, which includes Testaccio as well:

TRASTEVERE / TESTACCIO
(Ask ahead if they charge extra for bread, butter, lemons.)

Trastevere:
Alle Fratte, Via delle Fratti di Trastevere, 49/50. Tel: 06-5835775. Staple Roman trattoria as well as Neapolitan food. Menu examples: spaghetti alla carbonara, penne alla Sorrentina (tomato, basil & fresh mozzarella). Very friendly – Francesco & his wife. Closed Wednesdays. Credit Cards.

Trastevere:
Checco er Carettiere, Via Benedetta, 10/13, near Piazza Trilussa. Tel. 06-5822985.. www.checcoercarettiere.it. Menu examples: Cannelloni with meat filling, fried lamb chops with fried artichokes, scampi, clams vongole (with spaghetti). Closed Sunday evening. Credit Cards.

Trastevere:
Pizzeria al Fontanone, Piazza Trilussa, 46. Tel. 06-5817312. From the Ponte Sisto, walk the street and go left at the fountain to the restaurant (illustrated on their web site). www.alfontanone.com Look at their web site for more information.

Trastevere:
da Ivo, Via di San Francesco a Ripa, 158. Another vote for best pizza. Cheap, busy, fun joint full of soccer memorabilia. $8.50 for a pizza. Lots of rave reviews.

Trastevere:
Osteria da Olinda, Vicolo della Scala, 8. Excellent traditional pasta. Menu example: Cacio e Pepe Arribata (cheese, pepper & ?) Prices are 6€ - 10€.

Trastevere:
Da Gildo, Via della Scala. Tel. 06-5800733

Trastevere:
Mario’s, Via del Moro, 53. Tel. 06-5803809. 10€ fixed lunch menu that includes several choices and wine, water and bread.

Trastevere:
da Lucia, Viccolo Mattanato. It is located on the smallest alleyway tucked behind St. Maria’s church. Great house wine, mixed vegetables (grilled eggplant, white beans, zucchini & roasted peppers), veal stew with peas, pasta. Inexpensive, but no other information.

Trastevere:
Pizzeria ai Marmi, Viale di Trastevere, 53. Known as “the morgue” due to the marble covered tables inside. This is a bustling pizzeria along Trastevere’s main drag.

Trastevere:
Popi-Popi, Via delle Fratte di Trastevere, 46. Casual atmosphere, excellent and reasonable prices.

Trastevere:
da Augusto, a hole-in-the-wall that caters mostly to locals. The most expensive item on their menu is 10€ (house wine is bad).

Trastevere:
La Cisterna, Via della Cisterna, 13. From Via Parboni, to Viale D. Trastevere, turn on Via. S. Michele a Ripa (north), then right on Via della Cisterna. Tel. 06-582543. One of the oldest restaurants of Rome. Dates back to 1630. The name is from the cistern that is in the basement. Originally, this restaurant was four meters below street level. This area was elevated because the Tiber River kept flooding the neighborhood of Trastevere.

BEYOND TRASTEVERE
Antica Roma, Via Alberto Mario, 17. This ristorante is located in a quiet neighborhood: Monteverdi Vecchio. Tel. 06-5816809. The crowd is local and the staff is mainly family. Ridiculously good.

Testaccio:
Osteria ai Mercati, Piazza del Gazometro, 1. Tel. 06-5743091. Menu example: simple bruschetta with various toppings, potato stuffed ravioli and ciecamariti (blind the husbands) pasta in a spicy tomato sauce, pork with porcini mushrooms & chestnuts. No lunch on Saturday and Sunday. Credit Cards.

Testaccio:
Pizzeria Remo, Santa Maria Liberatrice, 44. Tel. 06-5746270. Take the Metro to Piramide, walk west on Via Marmorata past Volpetti’s and turn left. Walk another two blocks: Be prepared to wait for an outside table. Frequented by locals, no table cloths, and lively atmosphere. Place your order by picking your choices on a sheet of paper the waiter gives you. The pizza is huge with a thin crust. Tel. 06-5746270. Open Mon. – Sat. 7 p.m . – 12:30 a.m. Closed Sundays. No credit cards.

Testaccio:
Volpetti, Via Marmorata, 47. More like a deli: Beer, wine, cheese, bread, meat. Walk in and meet the boisterously friendly counter men, who will offer you a sample of anything you point at—and it’s all the best quality. Closed Tuesday afternoons.

Testaccio:
Tutti Frutti (all fruits), Via Luca della Robbia, 5. Take Tram #8 from Largo Argentina into Trastevere, and then at Via G. Induno transfer to Tram #3, which goes down the Via Marmorata. Get off at Via Galvani and walk one block southwest to Via Luca della Robbia. Hard to read the sign. Ring bell to enter. Adults must apply for membership, which is free. You fill out a short membership application, and are given cards. The interior is dark and club-like. The owner/chef is young, hip and speaks excellent English. The food is working class Roman/cutting edge. This restaurant is around the corner from the famous Volpetti delicatessen. They will take advance reservations (large groups) and will agree to a fixed menu with several choices.
Blog: http://sarafoodjournal.blogspot.com/...ti-frutti.html

Testaccio:
Trattoria da Bucatino, Via Luca della Robbia, 84. Popular trattoria. Good variety of pasta and meat dishes. Credit Cards. Closed Monday.

Testaccio:
da Felice, Via Mastro Giorgio, 29. A local institution. Ask nicely for a table as the proprietor will only let you sit down if he likes the look of you. He keeps reserved signs on the tables to cover himself. If you are one of the privileged few, you will enjoy true Roman food: Great pasta and lots of meat for a bargain price. Closed Sundays.

Zerlina Oct 6th, 2007 10:43 AM

Da Felice in Testaccio is no longer run by the old and grumpy proprietor. It's become a trendy place to go, and opinions differ on the quality of the food.

dutyfree Oct 6th, 2007 08:36 PM

I am copying all of these down for the following weeks that I am in Rome and will let you know how they are-thanks everyone!