Trastevere Neighborhood

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trastevere Neighborhood

I will be staying in Trastevere for my first visit to Rome. I rented a room from Sleep in Italy in spite of many concerns (mostly my sister's who thinks only hotels are safe) is this a good area to stay in? It's a done deal but I guess I need confirmation or condemnation for having booked it without further research.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Just curious which apartment you are renting? We will be traveling to Rome for the first time and have also chosen to stay in an apartment in Trastevere that is from sleepinitaly. I have read so many good things about the Trastevere. I stay in the marais in Paris and the Trastevere has been compared to it. I'm sure they are different, but similar,
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 02:10 PM

We stayed in Trastevere 2 years ago right on Via della Lungaretta, the main drag from the river to the Piazza and beyond. It is lively and fun. We enjoyed it and did not feel unsafe at all. Nights it is teeming with Romans and tourists going to some of the many restaurants there. It is also very atmospheric, "old Rome" feeling.We enjoyed wandering through the whole neighborhood. Frequently went to the daily morning market on P.San Cosimato.One can hop on one of the little buses that make their rounds and go up to Janiculum or way over to the East side. You will see signposts for the pick-up spots. Every time we crossed the Tiber to go over to the other parts of Rome we enjoyed our view from the bridges. Enjoy!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 03:37 PM

This is my favorite neighborhood in Rome. As others have said, quite safe, lively and atmospheric. Lots of outdoor cafes. I especially like the church-Santa Maria de Trastevere-and the little bar across the square.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:15 PM

This was a wonderful area,but also visit Piazza Navona.Its closed to traffic.It has three wonderful fountains, one outstanding Bernini called the four rivers,In Italian it is named the Fontana dei quattro fiumi.The piazza is lined with eaterys wine shops and jewelers. As a bonus many street performers entertain while you have lunch or dinner.We stayed in a bed and breakfast it was great the only downer was we had to go through several locked doors on different floors at night.I found it also a bit noiser because your in a neighborhood with bars and nightspots around you.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

opaldog- I am renting the a room from what the website says is called, B&B Trastevere. it's on Viale Trastevere 152....I got it for 86 euros a night, I thought it was a good deal as I don't plan to spend a lot of time in the B&B but out seeing the sights. Now, I can't find it on a map and that is the address I was given, does anyone know where else I can look? Mapquest isn't very helpful.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:00 AM

I went to google and used their maps to find the location. It is viale di trastevere, 152 and shows it to be next to Piazza Ippolito Nievo.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'll try again, I can atleast google Piazza Ippolito Nievo.
Thank you!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Luvly76,

You can use Mappy.com to look up the address on the Rome Map.

I love Trastevere myself and looking at the location of the B&B - personally, I don't think it's the best location for a first time visit. It's not awful by any means just not the most convenient.

I looked at the B&B and location on sleep in italy site. In my opinion, there are a couple other B&B's on the site that I believe to be in better locations of Trastevere. I'm sure others will gently let me know if they have a different opinion ; )

For instance the Bed and Breakfast San Cosimato. Or even the Bed and Breakfast Relais Merry. These both seem comparable in price. Just my thoughts...