Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trastevere in Rome for families? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trastevere-in-rome-for-families-477756/)

carolv Sep 30th, 2004 07:56 PM

Trastevere in Rome for families?

I read positive things about the Trastevere area of Rome and am looking at the Hotel Santa Maria, but wondered if it would be recommended for a family? My kids are troopers (age 12 and good walkers). We'll be in Rome for 4 nights in Feb. and plan to walk to the main sights. The idea of coming back to a "local neighborhood" and "oasis" (as I've seen it described) is pretty appealing. (I'm a light sleeper!) I also noticed the area described as trendy with a nightlife, something that wouldn't matter to us. Overall, would this be a practical choice? Does this area compare to a particular area of Paris (which I'm somewhat familiar with?) Thanks!

Jackie_in_Italy Oct 1st, 2004 01:27 AM

I think it definitely has a neighborhood appeal that would be good for families--it is less chaotic than the central area. It's a really nice area, although as a base it's a little bit farther away from some of the central locations, but if your kids want to walk, then you'll be fine.

Charley1965 Oct 1st, 2004 01:52 AM

Hi, we stayed in Trastevere last September. It's very easy to get to the sights from there, either walking or on the tram which we used most days to get to our destinations. From memory the number 3 takes you to the Coliseum. The trams are so frequent, you do not wait more than 5 minutes ever. The only thing I found different about this area to others was that there was more graffiti as opposed to other areas, but don't let that put you off. There are lots of restaurants and you'll be spolit for choice in the evenings. Our favourite was Sabatini in the main square opposite the church. In answer to your question, yes it is a practical choice in my opinion and I wouldn't hesitate to go back there.

carolv Oct 1st, 2004 04:18 AM

I'm going for it. Thanks! I'll post my impressions when I return.

Charley1965 Oct 1st, 2004 08:13 AM

Excellent. I'm sure you will love it!

Maggy Oct 1st, 2004 11:11 AM

I also would like feedback on the Hotel Santa Maria. It is recommended in the Karen Brown Italy book and her recommendations are usually great. We are thinking of going to Rome next year with our two kids as well so let us know how the room or rooms worked out for you with your kids in tow. We have taken our kids before and they had such a great time. I highly recommend a great book for eating out in Italy called Great Eats in Italy by Sandra Gustafsson. The one in Trastevere we went to is called Il Fontanone; small, charming, family owned. Have fun!

carolv Oct 1st, 2004 11:47 AM

Maggy, I will definitely share my Rome (and Venice) experiences. Thanks for the restaurant ideas as well. They really do know how to eat over there!