Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trastevere (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trastevere-163850/)

tidy Jan 2nd, 2008 09:05 AM

Trastevere

What are your thoughts on staying in the Trastevere area. Is it easy enough to get around to colloseum, forum, Piazza Navona etc. Or do you think there is a more central area. We prefer to walk rather than public transportation.

Songdoc Jan 2nd, 2008 09:18 AM

Nope. Too far to walk everywhere from Trastevere.

We stayed in the historic section (near the Pantheon at Hotel Cesari) and were able to walk EVERYWHERE -- but we're big walkers. We loved that location; it was not only perfectly located for access to other areas--but very atmospheric, as well.

Mimar Jan 2nd, 2008 09:23 AM

It's not as convenient as the area around the Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo dei Fiori. If this is your first trip to Rome, I'd look around there. If it isn't your first trip, Trastevere is an interesting residential neighborhood. You might want to plot walking times and distances on one of the mapping sites like www.mappy.com or www.viamichelin.com, both of which have pedestrian options.

Lexma90 Jan 2nd, 2008 09:32 AM

I'd agree with Mimar. On our most recent trip to Rome, I really enjoyed the time we spent wandering around Trastevere, and said to DH several times that I'd like to stay in that area the next time we visit.

But it is probably a 10 minute walk, at least, from the most popular area, around Piazza Navona (the Pantheon is about a 5 minutes' walk from there). And then the Trevi Fountain is 5-10 minutes' walk from the Pantheon. We stayed about a block from Piazza Navona on our last trip, and walked almost everywhere - we're big walkers as well. I liked that location because, in addition to the places mentioned above, we could also easily walk to Castel Sant'Angelo and the Vatican. The Piazza Navona - Pantheon area is more centrally located.

suec1 Jan 2nd, 2008 09:38 AM

There are many places to eat in Trastavere but not so many places to stay - not many choices is the manin reason I don't consider staying in that area.

Graziella5b Jan 2nd, 2008 09:38 AM

I think the Trastevere is a wonderful place to stay. It is more of a neighborhood, and walking distance everywhere. There are many fine restaurants some more touristic than others, some are wonderful and really inexpensive. Your hotel should tell you.
WE enjoyed staying in Arco del Lauro, it is near the river that means easy to get across walking and they are the best to give you information regarding where to eat and so forth. Go for it.

spirojazz Jan 2nd, 2008 09:44 AM

I think the Travestere is awesome. It's across the river, on the Vatican side, down river from the Vatican neighborhood. But it's right across the river from the Jewish Ghetto which has some great restaurants. If I could find a nice place to stay there I would. It has more of a university type feel and it's just gorgeous.

travel2live2 Jan 2nd, 2008 09:55 AM

It is my favourite place to stay in the city. We always walk to the sites from there. It is not as central as other locations but it is definitely doable on foot. I would really recommend it.

plafield Jan 2nd, 2008 10:56 AM

WE LOVED staying in Tratsevere. We also stayed at the Arco del Lauro and we walked almost everywhere. We took the bus a few times, which was very easy to do, and we loved staying in a quiet neighborhood and then walking into the center each day. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. When we next return to Rome we'll rent an apartment in Trastevere.

wliwl Jan 2nd, 2008 11:00 AM

Oh good heavens, those things are not far from Trastevere.

I love to walk and we stayed in Campo de Fiori and ate frequently in Trastevere. We walked everywhere. Rome is small. If you are used to walking you will love it.

You'll probably head out for your touring in the morning and hit whatever sights you're going to see and then head back in the evening. You'll love eating in Trastevere, and you might even be glad to get out of the horde of tourists that dominates Piazza Navona.

Waldo Jan 2nd, 2008 12:41 PM

Didn't Vinnie Trastevere play quarterback in the NFL?

SharonG Jan 2nd, 2008 01:08 PM

We stayed in the area two years ago and walked to everything. It is lovely.

LucieV Jan 3rd, 2008 03:51 PM

I agree w/travel2live, et al. Trastevere is a wonderful location...and would be inconvenient only if one were walking-averse. Having stayed in many different neighborhoods in Rome over the years, we stayed in Trastevere for the first time last October...and we didn't use public transportation once in the whole week we were there. I would stay there again in a half second!