Transportation to Cotswolds from LHR

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transportation to Cotswolds from LHR

Hi All:

I will be arriving LHR from NYC @ 8:30pm in early May, I would appreciate any and all advice on the best way to get to the Cotswolds (Cotswold House - Chipping Campden)using public or hired transportation. Is a car necessary for navigating the Cotswolds? If so, does anyone know of a Hertz or Avis car hire convenient to Chipping Campden?
Thank you for your time and attention.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you mean getting to Chipping Campden that night? That is a tough one. You won't be ready to leave the airport until probably 9:30PM or later.

There won't be any public transport to CC at that time of night.

Perhaps you should consider staying that night at a LHR hotel and renting a car the next day. Or stay in Windsor. Or -- take the train into London Paddington and spend the night there. Then the next morning take a train to Oxford and rent a car from there.

You can get to Moreton-in-Marsh by train (from London or Reading) and then bus or taxi to Chipping Campden -- but not at that time of night and not directly from LHR.

It is much easier to explore the Cotswolds by car and on foot - but there are local bus services that get you to some places -- just not at 11PM . . . . .

The nearest major rental agencies will be in Oxford.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate your reply Janis.

I was afraid that my arrival time would present a problem. I will arrange for an LHR hotel and next day care rental pick up from LHR.

Thanks again. ~ Elle
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 12:56 PM

That is probably your best option -- definitely consider using Priceline for the LHR hotel. You can usually get 4 star places for well under $100 and sometimes under $50 or $60.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again!

I actually lucked out and was able to use a Marriott free stay certificate at LHR.

As an aside, thank you for many of your informative posts as they have been invaluable to me on several trips to the UK. I will be looking up your Kent garden posts and trip reports next.

Kindest regards.

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM

ooh - free is even better than priceline