transportation questions in Prague

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:39 AM
mark

transportation questions in Prague

A couple questions before I'm off to Prague:<BR><BR>Car service from the airport is included with my hotel room - I'm wondering how much I should tip the driver? Anyone familiar with the distance from the airport to the Mala Strana.<BR><BR>I remember reading something about a museum/transportation weekly pass that is available at tobacco shops - anybody familiar with this?

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:15 AM
nancy

The airport is not that far from the center of town. We were there last week and just took a taxi; I think 10% is about correct for the tip.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Leslie

I bought the transportation/museum pass at the Tourist Office next to the Astrological Clock. The pass is good for 3 days, and I found it very worthwhile to have, especially for entry into the Castle District.<BR><BR>I stayed in Mala Strana in November, and I seem to recall it taking about 20 minutes, however, that was about 7am.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:33 AM
frank

Good questions. I too will need the same info..(CSA package,staying for 8 days at Xmas). <BR>Unless you use public transportation very often the single usage was the more economical way to go in Prague. <BR>I did the math:<BR>1 day pass breakeven 8.8 trips a day<BR>3 day pass breakeven 5.4 trips a day<BR>7 day pass breakeven 4.5 trips a day<BR>Based on 15 minute rides around Prague.<BR><BR>for more info. check out <BR>http://www.jasoncholt.com/prague/prahapublic.html<BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 12:25 PM
mark

My transportation from the airport to my hotel is "free" - I'm wondering how much to tip. I know I'm paying him indirectly through my hotel. I was thinking 300 korunas (which is about $10)

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Leslie

A few dollars will suffice for a tip.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Christina

If transportation is included in your room rate, I think 300 CK is very generous and certainly will be appreciated. YOu are probably paying something for the transportation, though, aren't you, even if it's not broken out? Normally, I think those private drivers charge around 500-600 CK for an airport trip (that's what I've paid), so that's about a 50 pct tip, if you look at it that way-- I'd probably tip more like 100-150. Guessing on the distance, I think it might be about 8 miles from the airport to Mala Strana.<BR><BR>YOu can buy transportation passes at a lot of places, I got mine at the airport where there is a good Prague transport booth near the doors that go out to the cab/van stand area--that was very convenient so I had it immediately for use. YOu can, of course, buy them at metro stations. I didn't buy a museum pass, but I think that limits you to a 3-day transportation pass, so if you want a weekly one, you should buy that separately.<BR><BR>The regular transportation passes are very cheap, and have the advantage that you don't have to figure out the timing or worry about dealing with individual tickets. I suppose it could be cheaper to buy individual ones if you didn't plan on using metro or tram or buses very much, but I wouldn't want to bother (the tickets are timed BTW, so you have to make sure if you buy individual ones you get them for the right time, they are good for 15 or 60 min--some routes can take a little longer than you might expect, so getting the 60 min could be a good idea). Those figures quoted above refer only to the 15 min. individual tickets, not the 60 min. validity ones, also. A 7 day pass is only 250 KC, a 3-day pass is 200 CK, so I wouldn't try to save on that myself, because that's less than $2 a day.<BR><BR>Those passes are really convenient, just make sure you compost it (validate it in the ticket stamper) the very first time you use it. They do have ticket inspectors that check quite a bit on the trams, especially the routes tourists use, so be sure you have your ticket validated and on you and that you have a ticket for the proper time period if you do buy individual ones.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 04:38 PM
mark

Thanks Christina - I don't want to be stingy/cheap but at the same time I'm not 'Daddy Warbucks' either.