transportation help London to Bath and then to Heathrow

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2015, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family, 3 adults, two children will be in London and have booked accommodation in Bath for 2 nights before flying home. We are going book our last at a Heathrow airport hotel, still to be booked, and need some transportation advice. I think a morning train from London to Bath, but from Bath to Heathrow, should we do a bus or train to the airport and then take a taxi to the hotel, or is their a better stop to get off to access the airport hotels, Also we were thinking of going to see the Cheddar Gorge, but with no car, is their an easy way to get there.
Old May 19th, 2015, 05:21 AM

"We are going book our last at a Heathrow airport hotel, still to be booked, "

The easiest way between LHR and Bath is by non-stop bus (2 hrs. www.nationalexpress.com):there is no train and the railway/bus connection is a pain.

I'd suggest checking its early-morning timetable before committing to the endless faffing about around Heathrow that overnighting in a nearby hotel inevitably requires. If you're insistent, the Sofitel near T5 is the only hotel in the area that doesn't need extra buses - though getting to other terminals can be a faff even so.
Old May 19th, 2015, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Oops.I meant our last night will be at a Heathrow hotel... so I needed to know how to get from Bath to Heathrow. We are leaving from terminal 2 on a morning flight, so thought that there would be easy bussing from an airport hotel to the airport terminal. Thanks for the help and I'll look into National Express for bus timetable and fares. Depending on hotel I'm staying at maybe I can get a shuttle from Heathrow to the hotel.... or I guess I take a taxi.
Old May 19th, 2015, 06:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are no hotel shuttles at LHR. It is either the paid Hotel Hoppa bus or a cab. But for any of the nearby LHR hotels a cab for five will be cheaper than the Hoppa. The hotels are less than 2 miles from the terminal.

(There is a local/public bus but infrequent in the very early AM)

Do not book a hotel near either T-5 or T-4 . . . They are miles away. All the hotels for T's 1-2-3 are centered around the Bath Road/A4
Old May 19th, 2015, 06:21 AM

Getting round Somerset without a car is never easy, but a trip from Bath to Cheddar is certainly possible. I don't know what you may have heard about Cheddar Gorge, but my feeling is that many Americans would consider it unexceptional as a piece of geology, although they might appreciate the tacky nature of some of the visitor attractions. Incidentally, It has little to do with Cheddar Cheese.

You can use Traveline South West (http://www.travelinesw.com) to check ways of getting there, but I would suggest you go by bus and choose the option which goes from Bath to Wells and then from Wells to Cheddar. You will then have the opportunity to visit the magnificent Wells Cathedral and see the town itself. You could even stop off at Wookey Hole (www.wookey.co.uk/)

If you go by bus, you should be able to take advantage of the West of England Family Travel Ticket, which offers unlimited bus travel for 5 (max 2 adults) for just £14. (http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/bris...family_travel/)

Happy travels!
Old May 19th, 2015, 07:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"But for any of the nearby LHR hotels a cab for five will be cheaper than the Hoppa"

Janisj, not so sure, the taxis have to pay for access to the terminal an exorbitant fee which they need to earn back. Last time I asked to go 2 miles from LHR I was quoted £40.

Still a Hoppa for 5 will add up. However the local buses to the circling road (where the hotels are) are often free....

http://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/hea...ocal_buses.htm

This Taxi link is true http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-an...abs/taxi-fares but and it is a big but Heathrow is not in the London Taxi area so if you are being delivered close to Heathrow you get stung
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:01 AM

take the same train line from Bath towards London. Get off at Reading where you can get a bus to Heathrow.
http://www.railair.com/index.php
or
http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx (do not use Calcot as this is on the edge of Reading)
This also gives some alternatives.
http://www.heathrowairport.com/trans...rail_air-buses
Old May 19th, 2015, 05:18 PM

bilboburgler: That seems weird -- I've taken a cab from a Bath Rd hotel to LHR twice and neither cost more than £10 or £12 (but it will be more for 5 w/ luggage). Maybe there is a surcharge for picking up at the terminal??? I don't know -- I've never taken a cab FROM LHR.

I didn't recommend the free local bus zone because the OP said it was a very early flight.
Old May 20th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the info. I like the idea of a taking the bus as it goes directly to Heathrow in 2 hours and then taking the Hoppa bus or taxi to the hotel. I am a senior, traveling with my family with two children under 15 and it seems they are free when traveling on the Hoppa with adults

Any thoughts on the Cheddar Gorge, we saw it on the Bath website,it looked beautiful, so we were planning to spend the best part of a day there, if it's not too difficult to get there without a car. I saw some negative comments about the Gorge on this site, and as we are leaving for Canada the next day would like it to be a worthwhile day trip. Thank you all for your ongoing help.
Old May 20th, 2015, 11:45 AM

>>so we were planning to spend the best part of a day there,<<

Whereabout do you live -- if it is in a scenic area w/ mountains and such you might be semi-underwhelmed. There are pretty views and (paid entry) caverns -- but unless you are in the Somerset/Bath area for several days it wouldn't be a must or 'best part of the day' attraction. How long are you in Bath?

But in any case -- I'd think it would be a bear to get to by public transport.
Old May 20th, 2015, 01:46 PM

there is no train and the railway/bus connection is a pain.>

No direct train but the Rail Bus link if it still exists as rieberiescara says it does could be much quicker and trains from Reading to Bath take about an hour or slightly less - not sure how long the bus takes but can't be too much as it's not that far. Go to www.nationalrail.co.uk to see if they have a Heathrow - Bath Spa fare or at least Reading to Bath spa for sure as it is a train. Check www.seat61.com for lots of details on British trains and getting discounted tickets.

Bus is fine but if you're one that likes more roomy and comfy trains - you can get up and walk around - go to the snack bar, etc. unlike on a bus.
Old May 20th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Walk-up bus-train via Reading fare is about 79 pounds but if you book a few weeks in advance it is 29 pounds and takes 2.15 hours on most connections, involving two changes of bus usually - one in Reading - 29 pound discounted fare is no doubt or most likely non-changeable non-refundable - not the best thing for arriving by air - if the straight up buses have a low walk up fare it would make sense only to take that unless on a high don't care budget.
Old May 20th, 2015, 10:10 PM

bus maybe looking good but you have to sit down for all of the time. No getting up. If the bus is fitted with seat belts you have to wear them all of the time too.
http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/the-...and-minibuses/

Take the train.