Search

Clothing needed end of May in SW Ireland

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clothing needed end of May in SW Ireland

Hello,
We are leaving Friday (May 26th) for our Ireland vacation. What type of clothing do you recommend for touring SW Ireland during the end of May? Do we need a light or medium weight jacket? Sweatshirt? The temps look like they will be mild but understand that they have many overcast or rainy days.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:58 AM

Depends upon what you are used to. We ALWAYS take jackets (preferably WATERPROOF), pants and long sleeve shirts -- even a few sweaters --
but we live in Florida.

When we were there, last June 3-14th, two of our traveling companions wore short sleeveshirts and shorts (during the day), but they live right on the Canadian border, in Upstate N.Y.

Peak highs, during the heat of the day will probably not excede 75 F, and if it does get THAT hot, you can bet that the locals will be complaining MIGHTILY about how UNBEARABLE it is!

Bob
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:02 AM

Temperatures and weather conditions varied a lot during the six days I was in SW Ireland toward the end of May last year. Dress in layers--T-shirt, long-sleeve shirt, light sweater, light jacket, light gloves, cap--and add or remove as conditions change.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advise. I have recently checked weather.com and they predict that the temps during our visit May 26-31 will be low 50's for highs with a 30-40% chance of rain on some of the days. We are planning on bringing a waterproof jacket and layers for clothing.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:03 AM

We were there a little earler than you, but the one thing we really used was a nylon, Columbia waterproof windbreaker.
It wasn't very fashionable, but sure did keep us warm and dry on many a day.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks... we have packed our waterproof jackets already...I'm sure that the waterproof jackets will be handy on rainy days. Only 2 1/2 days until we depart for Ireland... yea!
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:49 AM

Everyone tells you to bring raingear. I have 2-Eddie Bauer hooded nylon jackets that I alternate. A cousin in west Limerick told me that if it was a sunny morning, expect rain by noon.

Footwear: I also take my waterproof Nike 'hikers,' mostly because walking may be on unimproved roads or across fields.

By today or tomorrow you should be able to get a pretty good 'fix' on what the weather will be when you arrive (from Irish 'Met' service).
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:32 AM

We were in Ireland in 2002 at about the same time you plan to travel and it was cold and rainy. I agree with the layers but a light sweater may
not be sufficient. I had two Irish sweaters that I left at home and lived to regret it. Take a turtle neck, warm sweater, and a water proof windbreaker/jacket and a pair of gloves. It was so cold most pubs were still burning peat fires. Have a great trip!