Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Transportation from the airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/transportation-from-the-airport-687506/)

karussell Mar 13th, 2007 09:05 AM

Transportation from the airport

We will be arriving in Amsterdam on Saturday the 24th (YAH!!!). I was wondering which train route is the best to get to the Liedsplein area? Specifially the Dikker en Thijs Fenice Hotel. I have read that there are trains the go to other stations in AMS rather than the Central Station. Which is best?

PalenQ Mar 13th, 2007 09:16 AM

You can't go wrong with Centraal Station and then hop any of several trams out front that will whisk you to Leidesplein area about two miles from there.

You could take train to some suburban stations like WTC-Zuid station and trams into town but don't think trams from those stations go right to Leidesplein area - they may but i think not without seeing tram map.

That said Centraal station is in the throes of a complete renovation so just make your way somehow out front - follow the flow and ask a tram driver for Leidesplein trams.

Actually you should head first to the GVB office opposite Centraal Station's front exit where the trams are and get a tram map and buy a Strip Ticket for use on trams - cheaper here than ones they sell on trams and ask them how to use it. Get the longest strip ticket - about 15 strips and can be used by any number of people.

The free booklet on Amsterdam transportaion they give out here clearly tells how to use the at times terribly confusing Strip Kaart system.

Ida101 Mar 13th, 2007 09:54 AM

Train to Centraal Station and then taxi or tram if you donot have much luggage.

Dukey Mar 13th, 2007 09:55 AM

Good advice from Pal IMO. In addition, you can ask the hotel via e-mail what is the closest tram stop and which line but I stro ngly suspect the folks at the tourist office would know since they book hotels for folks all the time.

Take the train from Schiphol to Centraal Station. Do NOT leave any of your baggage unattended near the center doors of the train when (and if) it stops at the intermediate Sloterdijk station to prvent "grab and run" thieves.

PalenQ Mar 13th, 2007 10:02 AM

Welcome to GVB AmsterdamGVB: Departure times from 10 december 2006 per stop or line · Map for bus, tram and metro ...
www.gvb.nl/english

GVB is the municipal tram operator.

And heed Dukey's warning and in Centraal Station, even though they have instituted a huge police presence in recent years also beware folks coming up and distracting you. Not to worry but be vigilant.

There are two separate train lines from Schiphol Airport into Amsterdam - one to Centraal Station (Amsterdam C.S. on overhead signs trackside)

and another to stations WTC-Zuid, RAI and other stations on southern edge of Amsterdam that do not go to Amsterdam C.S.

Trains on both lines leave about every 20 mins or so.