Transportation from Rome Airport to Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that it is possible to take a train from the Rome Airport to the center of the city, but I am fuzzy on the specifics. Where to catch the train at the airport, where to get off in Rome, how much does it cost, etc.

We are a family of 4, staying near the Pantheon. Is the train a viable option, or should I just spring for a cab?

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 02:52 PM

Definatly spring for a cab or better yet look a hired limo type service. There are alot of recommandations on this site for specific companys people used. The price is the same as a cab. Mine was hired through the apartment i rented so i did not ever find out the name. Staying by the Pantheon and getting there by train makes no sense and a lot of headache!
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 02:58 PM

You can get a private limo for what you'd pay for the train plus a taxi!

Try www.limoservicerome.com...we have been exceptionally pleased with their service.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 03:02 PM

I just took the train into Rome from FCO and it was surprisingly easy. The train station is connected to the airport terminal and you just stroll over and buy a ticket and get on the train. At the Termini Train Station in Rome we hired a cab for about 8 euro to take us to our hotel near Piazza Navona which is not far from the Pantheon.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 03:08 PM

The only bad experience we had in Italy was with a Roman cab driver. He took us the scenic route from the train station and then when we paid with a 50 euro he switched it with a 5 euro and in our fatigue we paid him twice. We heard of 2 other people who had problems with cab drivers. One lady insisted that the cab driver come into the hotel and talk to the front desk which I thought was pretty smart.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 03:12 PM

You have to be careful that you only choose a city regulated and licensed cab, not a "gypsy" cab who will not follow the rules.
When you exit the train station, be sure and ignore the touts who come up to you and get into the line for the city cabs, ask the price before you get in (they have driven the city long enough to give an estimate) and then you should be fine.

But rereading the original question, I see that it would be a better suggestion for you to take a limo from the airport, which should not cost more than 40 euro, since there are four of you.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 03:31 PM

Last week, we took a hired driver from a Pantheon area hotel to the airport and it was 45 Euro for all 3 of us. If you find a limo in this price range, book it. Remember, you will be tired and trying to mess around with trains and schedules and taxis will most likely be a real pain. I'd pay a few extra dollars just to "get there"!
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 06:49 PM

Which hotel? Mine threw in car service to & from for FREE because I stayed 5 nights. Try to arrange it through your hotel, and you will have someone waiting for you when you arrive. Peace of mind, especially when jet lagged...
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 01:10 PM

We just used www.limoservicerome.com and paid 50 euros. Highly recommended. Driver was waiting for us and whisked us off to our hotel. I can't imagine shlepping four people on the train, with luggage and then trying to hail another cab for the rest of the journey. It will be cheaper for the four of you to hire the limo.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 03:33 PM

I can agree with 2 of the previous responses for sure.

1. It is easy to get to the train from the airport gates - just follow the signs from baggage claim.

2. A taxi tried to rip us off too. I was so annoyed that in our second visit to Rome we stayed at a hotel in walking distance from the train station. (hotel alpi)

But for a family of 4 when you add up the train ticket prices and the cab in rome and the stress it might just be worth it to spring for the taxi the whole way.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 07:16 PM

We have used the Airport Shuttle -- [email protected] twice and were very pleased. The driver was prompt, spoke wonderful English and shared his insights on the city with us. His name was Fabio and we also hired him for a day of touring. He was terrific and we plan to book a tour with him when we are in Rome this February.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 03:31 AM
ira

Hi newest,

Train fare from FCO to Rome TE is 9E pp. Cab will be about 10E. You will probably find limo service to be worth the exta cost.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 01:41 PM
jay

save your money and take the train. take the money you saved and buy enough wine for three days.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 08:28 AM

i used www.romashuttle.com. I thought they were great. Prices were perfect and no hassle.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 08:51 AM

A family of four will probably pay around 50E for train tickets to Rome Termini and a taxi ride from there to your hotel. For that price you should be able to get a private car and avoid the hassle.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 03:35 PM

My husband and I will be spending 4 nights at the Airport Hilton in April '04. We are thinking about taking the train into Rome to pick up a tour. We only speak English, will we have a problem taking the train?

Old Oct 10th, 2003, 03:40 PM

Just learn how to say two (hold up two fingers) for Roma Termini at the ticket counter (might have the sign biglietteria) , pay about 9euro and the agent will probably point to the track and announce it in Italian (you can hold up fingers to confirm or learn how to count to 10 in Italian in the meantime). There might be an inspector near the track who will point to a red box on a stand, stick in your ticket and it will be stamped, run and get on your train and you will be fine.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 03:55 PM

Dynamiteel..I don't like being"nosy" but is there some special reason you are spending 4 nights at the airport?
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 06:14 PM

We get 2 nights free pre cruise at the Airport Hilton and 2 free nights using our Hilton Honors points.
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 06:48 AM
ira

Hi dynamite,

Well, you can't beat a freebie.

The shuttle to Rome TE leaves every 1/2 hour. It takes 1/2 hour to arrive at track (binaro) 24 or 26, and returns from same.

These tracks are about a 10 min walk from the main entrance to the station.

I suggest that you purchase quattro biglietti (4 tickets)on your way to Rome so that you don't have to stand on line to get them for the return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -