Reload this Page >

Transportation from Paris International Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 03:06 PM
Mike

What are the options for options for getting to the Latin Quarter from the international airport ( arriving on Air Canada) . My wife and I will have two smaller pieces of luggage each. <BR> <BR>I heard Taxis are expensive. <BR> <BR>Regards <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 03:43 PM
ramzi

The best way would be RER B right to Paris if you only have two small pieces of luggage. Study the metro system before you leave, and you shouldn't have a problem. The RER will take you to a main station (Chatelet or St Michal)where you will have to get off and catch a metro line to your stop.

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Bob Brown

I think it would be easier to take the van. There are two of you, the cost is about 89 to 90 USD for one. The van takes you to the door. Unless you are familiar with the RER and the metro, it can be confusing. I used the van last summer and had no trouble. We did share the ride with 4 others, but the ride gave me a chance to see some of Paris.

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 05:26 PM
Jill

Please do a search on Paris Shuttle, this subject keeps coming up constantly. The shuttle is very easy to book, they meet you at the airport and take you to your hotel. They have a web site and a toll free (from the US number and they speak English). I would not try and hassle the RER or Metro with any luggage, big or small,it's just not a fun way to start out a wonderful vacation in Paris. Check out the Shuttle, you will find it is very easy to use and book.

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 07:12 PM
Kristin Lucas

I think Bob meant to say 89 - 90 French francs per person, which would be about $15 (or even under if the exchange rate stays so good). <BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 07:15 PM
Kristin Lucas

Sorry -- I didn't change it into Canadian dollars. But, in any case, the 89 was French francs, I am fairly sure, not any kind of dollars -- US or Canadian. <BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 11:05 AM
Caitlin

I must disagree with those who said the RER would be a hassle (though the metro may be another story). I just returned from Paris last week, and we found taking the RER from CDG to the Latin Quarter, with a similar amount of luggage, very easy. I don't know where you're staying, but look at a map and check the proximity of your hotel to the Luxembourg RER stop, which is on line B straight from the airport. (Caveat: there are quite a few steps up to the street.) <BR> <BR>The RER is 49FF to Paris from CDG, and you can take it direct from terminal 2; it runs every 15 minutes, and is certainly the fastest way in. <BR> <BR>Here is the key to riding the RER comfortably with luggage: board at the very first door on the first car, or the very last door on the last car. Either will lead to an open area with fold-down "jump seats," and plenty of room to stow your luggage at your feet, so you needn't worry about cramming between seats. You'll be boarding an empty train at the end of the line, so space won't be a problem. About 40 min. from CDG to Luxembourg stop.

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 11:15 AM
JR

We read about the shuttle here on the Fodor's board last year, and someone offered a very good reason for taking it -- you won't have to worry about striking RER workers! As it happened, the transportation workers did not strike while we were there, but the museum workers did. Strikes are apparently very common in France. <BR> <BR>The person who recommended the shuttle also advised that we confirm our reservation once we arrived in Paris. Thanks to her advice, we did so, and sure enough, they had no record of our e-mailed reservation! Same thing happened to the original poster, so good thing she warned us. We reserved again over the phone and the van showed up on time, no problem. <BR> <BR>One more thing -- buckle up, they drive like you won't believe. Still, it was worth not having to worry about striking workers, confusing metro maps or pickpockets while we were distracted with luggage.

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 12:56 PM
elvira

The origination of RER B is CDG, so no trouble getting on the train; it fills up as it heads toward Paris, but by that time you're all set. If you get seats near the end of the car, there is usually some luggage space there. At worst, you put your luggage on the floor and put your feet on it (this is a courtesy as the car fills up to standing-room-only, you take your luggage off the seats beside you and let people sit). Try for seats across from each other. <BR> <BR>The train stops at St Michel (at the top of the Boul' Mich' right by the Seine) and Luxembourg; if you get a map of Paris you can see where these stops are in relation to your hotel; you may have to change to a metro line if those stops aren't close to your hotel (again, check the map for the M near your hotel). <BR> <BR>If you are landing at Orly, it's the same RER line (you have to make a change) but it doesn't originate from the airport so you may have more crowds. You can always take a shuttle to the RER C line; again, it doesn't originate at the airport, so you're looking at people already on the train. <BR> <BR>We travel with one pilot case and one totebag each, and use the RER with no problem.

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 08:17 PM
bob p.

I thank everyone for their reply. Some of you have verified the information I have found over the internet. I will be heading for the Latin Quarter in 52 days. It will be my first time in Paris. I plan on using the RER and exiting at St.Michel and walking to my hotel. I have been skiing the internet for my information and I have found detailed mapes to my hotel. Just get alittle gutsy and smile alot and nobody will give you trouble, and some of my most lifetime memories are when I was lost. Colorado Bob P.