Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transportation from Naples train station to Porto Beverello

Sep 21st, 2003, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

I'm going back to Italy in October. After 4 nights in Rome, I will take a train to Naples to catch a boat to Ischia. I am traveling with a small suit case. I'm assuming the easiest way to reach Porto Beverello from Naples train station is by taxi ... is it too far to walk? are there buses from the train station that will take me there?

after 3 days in Ischia I will be heading to Sorrento. I was told that the boats from Ischia don't make the trip to Sorrento in October... and that i will have to go back to the port in Naples and then depending on the water conditions, can take another boat from Naples to Sorrento. Otherwise it sounds like I need to go back to the Naples Train station.

I know there are 2 ports in Naples... do the boats leave for Sorrento out of both areas?

just checking on all possibilities. your help would really be appreciated.
Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:55 AM

Taxi is the easiest - BUT you should fix a price beforehand.
Neapolitan taxi drivers are notorious ...

If you are travelling light I'd go by bus. Buses leave from the other side of the square and are VERY frequent. Get your ticket in advance, and validate it on boarding. Fare is approx. 70 cents.
I think it's a bit far to walk.

There is only one DIRECT service per day between Ischia and Sorrento, leaving late afternoon. Otherwise you will have to go via Naples (or Capri). The main Sorrento service from Naples is from Napoli Beverello.

http://www.alilauro.it/orari.htm?PHP...d325bf672efd7a

Alternatively, yes - you will have to go by train (Circumvesuviana) from Naples. Trains leave approx. every 30 mins. and journey time is about 70 mins.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:00 AM

From Napoli Centrale station to Molo Beverello is a 20-minute walk, at least, along crowded streets. It is a shorter ferry crossing from Pozzuoli which is north of Napoli - from the Centrale station, take the Metropolitana to Pozzuoli, but you then need to take a taxi to the port (it's a quiet downhill walk but easy to get lost).
From Ischia, there should still be excursion boats every morning in October to Capri, and plenty of boats from Capri to Sorrento. There is left-luggage by the harbour in Capri if you want to spend a few hours there. That will be a much pleasanter route than returning to Napoli (unless the weather's bad, of course).
Sep 22nd, 2003, 08:50 AM
GAC

You can take the bus from Napoli Stazione Centrale to Piazza Municipio, then walk 300 yards to Molo Beverello.
Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU SO MUCH ... THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!