Reload this Page >

Transportation from Gatwick to London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 1998, 05:04 PM
Raeona

Arriving at Gatwick Saturday a.m. in May. Any suggestions as to the best way to get ourselves to London? Is there an Airbus, as for Heathrow? The tube? How costly should we expect it to be? Thanks for any help!

Old Apr 10th, 1998, 06:58 PM
Ralph

Haven't done it yet but my research has led me to believe the train from Gatwick to Victoria Station is the best answer. Why not take a peek at this Gatwick Express website for full details:

http://www.gatwickexpress.co.uk/FrameMst.htm

Old Apr 10th, 1998, 09:50 PM
mary

I have made the trip from Gatwick to Victoria Station on the train. It was very easy. I think it took about 30 min. Trains run very frequently (I think about every 15-20 min.) I don't remember the cost. I think it was around $15. Since I don't seem to remember anything for sure, you better check out that Gatwick website. However, I don't think you will have any problem with train transportation. Once you get to Victoria Sta., you can find a taxi right outside the station.

Old Apr 11th, 1998, 12:57 AM
Ben Haines

The Gatwick Express does, indeed, run fast and simply to Victoria., fine for hotels in Victoria, and the West End.

For hotels in Bloomsbury you can get much closer to home if you take a Thameslink train to Kings Cross Thameslink. Once there, with luggage, you ignore the "way out" digns, go downstairs to the Piccadilly Line passage, walk under the railway lines, and at the newsstand turn right up the escalator to street level. When you leave through the glass door there stay on the pavement, and you are at a bus stop with buses to Bloomsbury, and some taxis.

For hotels in Kensington and Gloucerster Road you can get nearer home by taking the once-an-hour Comex South central train from Gatwick to Kensington Olympia. There you either lewave the station (no stairs) and take a taxi, or change to the District line (no stairs) to go to Earls Court, where you cross the platform to get to Kensington High Street, Glocester Eoad, or South Kensington.

Fares on both trains are a little less than the Gatwick Express fare.

Please write again if I can help further. Welcome to London.

Ben Haines

Old Apr 11th, 1998, 05:34 AM
Carolyn Hinkle

Good advice! We recently took the Gatwick Express and I thought that I remembered that it cost about $16. No need to be buy tickets--just get on the train and present your credit card when the conductor makes his rounds. Our hotel was in Lancaster Gate--near Hyde Park-- so we could have taken the Tube. But we were tired, so we just got a taxi from Victoria. It wasn't expensive--they're very reliable, and it is one opportunity to ride in a London Cab. There is a line right outside the door; it moves very quickly.