Reload this Page >

Transportation from Gatwick Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Penny

Does anyone know if the Gatwick Express stops at King Cross Station, as this is where we have to get off to get to our hotel?<BR>Also, is it cheaper to buy a 3-day central zone travel pass here for $33.00 Cdn. or wait till we get there? Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:24 PM
ron

The Gatwick Express goes to Victoria Station. The Thameslink train goes to Kings Cross Thameslink, which is about a half block from the main Kings Cross Station.<BR><BR>There is no three day pass available in London - your choices would be one day, two day weekend or one week. 3 one day passes @ &pound;4.10 per day would still be cheaper (but perhaps less convenient) than the prepurchased 3 day pass, but some agency in Canada or the States wouldn't get their nice commission.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Penny

Thanks Ron. I think I'm going to wait and get passes in London (which my husband has suggested all along, of course). Do you know anything about the London Pass, for discounts, and free entry to such places as Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, etc.? It's $90 Cdn. for a 3-day pass from raileurope.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 09:22 AM
janis

Penny: The London Pass is not such a good bargain. To get your money's worth you need to visit many of the "commercial" sites such as the London Dungeon (waste of time) and Mme Tussauds (fun but probably not a "must" on a first trip). When are you going - Buckingham Palace is only open in August and September.<BR><BR>For a 3 day visit your best choice is to buy daily travel cards for zone 1 (or a weekend pass if you are there over a weekend) and skip the London Pass altogether.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Penny

To Janis - My husband and I are going in July. The London Pass covers entrance to the Tower of London, St. Paul's, Westminster Abbey, Buck. Palace, and other places. Since these are places we wanted to visit, the $90 pass seems a good deal after looking at the individual entrance fees. We land on a Saturday afternoon. So you think that we should get daily passes, when we get there?<BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Penny

I e-mailed the London Transport Info Service and they told me to get to Russell Square from Gatwick Airport, I should take the Gatwick Express, and get off at the Kings Cross station, take the Picadilly line one stop to Russell Square. I've been told that the Gatwick Express doesn't stop at KC only at Victoria. Who is right?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Patrick Wallace

There might be some confusion from the fact that there are different train services from Gatwick. The Gatwick Express runs direct to Victoria. The Thameslink trains run a stopping service from Gatwick through central London, including Kings Cross - there is a bit of a hike from the Kings Cross Thameslink station into the Piccadilly line platforms.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Penny

Patrick - So do you suggest taking the Gatwick Express to Victoria St. station and how would we get from Victoria St. station to Russell Square? I suppose this is a stupid question!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Maira

Not a stupid question whatsoever, you are a smart cookie planning ahead of time.<BR><BR>From: VICTORIA <BR>To: RUSSELL SQUARE <BR><BR>At Victoria, wait for VICTORIA LINE train. Get on train to any of: <BR><BR> WALTHAMSTOW CENTRAL or <BR> SEVEN SISTERS or <BR> KINGS CROSS ST PANCRAS<BR><BR>To: Green Park (about 7 mins). Walk to PICCADILLY LINE, wait for PICCADILLY LINE train, get on train to any of: <BR><BR> COCKFOSTERS or <BR> OAKWOOD or <BR> ARNOS GROVE or <BR> KINGS CROSS ST PANCRAS, on to Russell Square (approx. 23 mins. Arrival) <BR><BR>Zones Used: 1 Adult: 1.60 Child: 0.60 <BR><BR>Source:<BR><BR>London Tube planner: http://www.thetube.com/cgi-bin/tpquery2.exe?EntryType=Stations<BR><BR>(Loved the Russell Square Area!)<BR><BR>Have a fabulous time!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Penny

To Maira - Thankyou for your detailed instructions. Since you've been to the Russell Square are Maira, my husband & I will be arriving at Gatwick at 2:00 on a Sat. We're staying in Russell Square from the 20th to the 24th. Do you suggest getting daily travel passes in London, or should I get the 3-day central zone London Travel Pass ($33) here in Canada. What do you think of the London Pass for free entrance to Buckingham Pal., Tower of London, St. Paul's, etc. That is $90 Cdn.<BR>When were you in London? How was your trip?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:12 PM
janis

Penny: Buckingham Palace is only open from Aug 5 to Sept 29. It is the most expensive of the places you wanted to visit (11.50 GBP). <BR><BR>The Tower, Westminster Abbey and St Pauls will only total about 22GBP so the 90$ Canadian is waaaay too much to pay. You won't have enough time in just 4 days to see 90$ Can. worth of sites. Especially since all the big Galleries/Museums are free.<BR><BR>As for the travel passes - just wait until you are in London and buy one day travel cards for zone 1. The price of four travel cards is almost exactly $33 Canadian (less than $1 difference) So when you add in the postage it is actually cheaper to wait. You could even buy a one week travel card for about the same price - the advantage being it is good before 9:30AM.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 02:54 PM
Penny

Janis: Thanks so much for you input. I really appreciate the info. Do you have any suggestions for restaurants? We'll be staying at the Imperial Hotel in Russell Square, which is near the British Museum, or so I was told. We're arriving at 2:00 on Sat. the 20th of July and staying until the 24th, where we'll be off to Southend, where I was born until the 1st. of Aug. Would you or anyone like to suggest an itinerary?