Transportation from Amsterdam to Keukenhof Gardens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be the best way to reach the gardens? We will not have a car so I wondered if we should do the tour on the bus or take a bus on our own. When is the best time to buy tickets? Now or when we arrive? We’ll be in Amsterdam for 5 days around the 15th of April.
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 02:23 PM

Very easy by public transit - take train to Leiden (just buy tickets at station) and then board shuttle buses that take you to the gardens. (Look at official web site - www.keukenhof.nl to see if there are combo train and bus and entry tickets - no reservation needed for gardens and may not even be possible. I don't think you need buy tickets in advance - but again check web site - I went several years ago and you just showed up at the entrance and went in - it is a large garden with lots of space - the lines I saw were to get into the various greenhouses.

Other route:

Take train to Haarlem and then bus that goes thru the heart of the flower fields to the gardens

And another way - take train to Haarlem and take train to Hillegom - get off train and do a lovely few-mile walk to the gardens on small roads thru the heart of the flower fields - literally almost tiptoeing thru the tulips.

I've done all three ways and I'd go one way and return another.

Both Leiden and Haarlem are wonderful old towns that are worth a good look around.

And buy train tickets as you go -buses too - seat reservations not even possible.

I'd avoid weekends when locals turn out in large numbers.

The highlight of the gardens seemed to me to be the several hothouses hosting the best of the Dutch floral industry. Next to the gardens are miles of tulip and flower fields.

If looking for a cute small town to explore try Lisse, very close to the gardens. The bus goes thru it.

Last edited by PalenQ; Dec 22nd, 2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Wow, great info! We are hoping to go mid week as you suggest. Thanks for the 3 options. Haarlem, Leiden & Lisse will definitely be on our list.
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 05:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a direct bus service from Schiphol to Keukenhof. There is NO NEED to take a train anywhere.

https://keukenhof.nl/en/plan-your-visit/how-get-there/
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 01:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dukey1
There is a direct bus service from Schiphol to Keukenhof. There is NO NEED to take a train anywhere.

https://keukenhof.nl/en/plan-your-visit/how-get-there/
Apologies for my post. I assumed you were traveling directly from the airport.
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 01:56 AM

It is still an easy way to get to Keukenhof Dukey1, even if you are in Amsterdam.
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 09:02 AM

Option 4 - take a tour bus from Amsterdam to the gardens and also perhaps to Zaanse Schans, the collection of behemoth old wooden windmills mpt far from Amsterdam. Costs a lot more but if want a tour there are plenty. But, going on your own is easy and lots of options of other things to see like Lieiden or Haarlem.

And yes taking a train to Schiphol and then bus to gardens is also a good way - not sure but ma be quicker than going via Leiden.

Anyway look at official site and see what they say is best.

Last edited by PalenQ; Dec 23rd, 2018 at 09:19 AM.