Reload this Page >

Transportation from Aitport to downtown Madrid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 05:35 PM
Mary

Does anyone know if there is an airport shuttle service from the Madrid Airport to downtown hotels. I know from reading guide books that there is a bus and a subway line . I have to get to the Cuzco Hotel . Is this far from the Plaza Colon where the airport bus goes? It looks like it is close on Castanella . I thought I heard of a shuttle service - less expensive than a cab and probably more convenient than the bus or a subway with several changes. Thanks for any information

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 05:07 PM
Maribel

From the major Madrid hotels to the Barajas airport there is a shuttle service-inexpensive and reliable (takes about 30 min-order it from the concierge), but from Barajas to downtown Madrid, you will need to take either a taxi, the yellow bus which deposits you at Plaza Colon or the metro (a 45 min to 1 hr ride with at least two line changes-very inexpensive but time-consuming, not convenient). Your hotel, the Cuzco, is quite a long taxi ride (in heavy traffic) up the northern stretch of the Castellana from Plaza Colon, which is also on the Castellana, but at least 15 min away. I would say your best bet is simply to take a taxi (the official white ones with red diagonal stripe) from the airport, which should cost around 2,800-3,000 pts. and should take under 30 min. The taxi route will take you from Barajas along the Avenida de America which becomes Maria de Molina, then to the Plaza Doctor Maranon then up the Castellana through Plaza de Lima to the next plaza which will be Plaza Cuzco where your hotel is located. Please note that there are small taxi surcharges for holidays and Sundays (150 pts), airport pick-ups (400 pts.) each bag placed in trunk (50 pts.), trips after 11 p.m. (150 pts.) <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>Maribel

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 05:52 PM
Mary

Thank you for the information. It was difficult to tell from the city map I have how far distances are on the Castellana. A thirty minute cab ride certainly sounds more efficient than a bus and then a 15 minute cab ride . Does anyone know of any reasonably priced restuarants which they would recommend around the Cuzco Hotel area ? Is it a safe area ? I have been reading so many concerns about safety in Spain. I was in Barcelona two years ago for a short time and didn't feel any more concerned than I would in any large city, but I have never been in any other Spanish cities.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 07:01 PM
Carol

I was in Madrid recently and walked around the Cuzco area. It's residential and business so there aren't beggars like in the Puerta del Sol and Gran Via areas. There aren't so many tourists there. It seemed safe. There is a restaurant in that area called Helen's Restaurant. It's on the Castellana and when you are heading north, it's on the right. We lived in Spain in the 70's and used to go there. I knew the Helen that started the restaurant and I was pleasantly surprised to see after so many years and in the same location. There are some other hotels in the area like the Melia Castilla Hotel and across the street from that is a gift shop El Quixote. I found their prices very reasonable. <BR>There are restaurants in the area since there are a lot of apartments there. <BR>Carol

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 06:28 AM
Maribel

Mary, <BR>Me again. I know Helen's as well from living in that area in the 70s; we used to order our American style birthday cakes from her. Also go to <BR>Oliveri's on the Castellana at #196 (also on the right)for great Italian ice cream and <BR>sandwiches-you can't miss it; there's a large outdoor dining area in front. <BR>For a wonderful splurge you would enjoy Cabo Mayor on Juan Ramon Jimenez #37 <BR>(a few blocks from the Cuzco). It has a casual, nautical decor and is one <BR>of the city's best seafood restaurants-a bit on the expensive side but well <BR>worth it (and with the strong dollar is not that terribly pricey). Try the "merluza (hake) en salsa verde". The fish is impeccable. Very popular-must reserve. <BR>Also La Tahona on Capitan Haya has a Castilian decor, brick roasting ovens and serves delicious roast lamb-a good value. <BR>Have fun in Madrid!