Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Transportation from Airport/ Train Stations in Paris, Rome and Venice? Need help.

Transportation from Airport/ Train Stations in Paris, Rome and Venice? Need help.

Aug 10th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Transportation from Airport/ Train Stations in Paris, Rome and Venice? Need help.

I would like to know if there is alternative transportation like shuttles, executive bus services, to the following destinations:

Paris De Gaulle to Latin Quartier;
Rome airport to Piazza Navona;
Piazza Navona to Termini Station;
Train Station to Piazza San Marco in Venice.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 10th, 2003, 02:59 PM

In Paris the RER goes straight from CDG to St Michel in teh Latin Quarter. Fast and easy
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:13 PM

I've heard of people using the Air France bus into Paris, as well as Paris Shuttle and taxi cabs. I, personally, use the RER.

Can't comment on Rome, but in Venice your options are the vaporetto or a private water taxi.

Aug 10th, 2003, 03:30 PM

In Rome use www.airportshuttle.it
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:39 PM
ira

Dear Lilica,

The answer is "Yes".

For Paris try www.parisshuttle.com or www.bee-shuttle.com.

For Rome from FCO to Piazza Navona take a cab. From Piazza Navona to Rome Termini take a cab.

Alternatively take the shuttle from FCO to Rome TE and take a cab to Piazza Navona.

From train station to San Marco take the Vaporetto #1 or a water taxi (80 E for the taxi up to 4 persons).
Aug 10th, 2003, 04:04 PM

Paris: The following link will take you to a Paris airport shuttle company http://www.paris-airport-shuttle.com/
Note: I've never used it so I don't know how good or bad it is.
Alternatives are the following:
1. RER B from CDG to the St-Michel/Notre-Dame station in the heart of the Latin Quarter. This is the most direct and easy way into the Latin quarter.
2. Air France Bus to Gare Montparnasse and then take Metro line 4 to the St-Michel/Notre-Dame station. This is not as easy as the previous way.
3. Air France Bus to Etoile/Place Charles de Gaulle and then take Metro line 1 to Chatelet and switch to line 1 out to the St-Michel/Notre-Dame station. This is the least convenient way in, but it's a grand entrance into Paris since you get off the bus right by the Arc de Triomphe.

Venice: No need for shuttle service just walk outside the Santa Lucia train station to the Ferrovia stop on the Gand Canal and take either vaporetto line 82 (fastest) or line 1 (slower - more stops) to Santa Zaccaria which is right by Piazza San Marco.

Rome: From FCO your best bet is a cab, an alternative would be the train which will take you to Termini and then a cab to Piazza Navona. From Piazza Navona to Termini take a cab. I've been to Rome and have taken the buses to/from Termini but you really need to be familiar with the city to use them and know when to get on/off so I'd recommend a cab since the distance to/from the train station is relatively short.
Aug 11th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help....you guys are great!! I just have a couple of questions......

1. How much does the taxi cost from Piazza Navona to Termini Station and how long does it take?
2.How much does the Vaporetto cost in Venice and how long does it take to get to Piazza San Marco?

Many thanks.
Aug 11th, 2003, 09:14 AM

A one hour ticket on vaporetto number one in Venice is 5 euro. That's what you will have to buy to go to San Marco. You can buy the ticket right next to the vaporetto platform on the right-hand side when you exit the train station.

Sorry, I can't comment on Rome.
Aug 11th, 2003, 09:18 AM

There are several lines that get you from the Venice train station to S.Marco/S.Zaccaria:

-line 51 takes 24 minutes
-line 41: 27 min
-line 82: 31 min
-line 1: 38 min

The former two do not go through the Grand Canal but the other way around (along the Zattere), and cost less (€3.50), whereas line 82 and 1 cost €5.00 (the tickets are valid for 1 hour). The latter two lines use bigger & more comfortable boats so keep that in mind if you've got a lot of luggage.

Federico
Venice
Aug 12th, 2003, 03:02 AM

Lilica pay the extra €2.50 and take either line 1 or 82 to San Marco. You are in Venice and going down the Grand Canal (specially your first time) will take your breath away. Actually the most beautiful and impressive entrance into Venice is on a water taxi coming in from Lido. To recreate this you can take a vaporetto from Venice out to Murano or Burano via Lido and then on the way back to Venice you will get to see the impressive entrance into this magical city that seems to be floating in the water.

In Rome, I do not know what the taxi fare would be (I always take the bus) but the Termini train station is about 3 miles from Piazza Navona and it should only take 15 minutes or so to get there.
Aug 15th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot!!!
Aug 15th, 2003, 01:45 PM

a note on the vaporetto -- we got all sorts of advice on this board and jumped right onto the line 1 (or was it 82) immediately. What we didn't realize is that boats run both clockwise AND counterclockwise. So if you can note which direction your boat is coming from, you'll want to take the one heading clockwise (or towards the left). The Grand Canal is that direction and you'll have a much more scenic route (the other direction you'll see lots of ports and the backs of cruise ships).

And if you're going to be in Venice for a day or more, might as well invest a few extra Euros in a pass that will last for several days. Much cheaper in the long run, since you can just jump on and off the boats whenever you want.
Aug 26th, 2003, 08:40 PM

Yes, the last poster is quite correct. In most large vaporetto stops there are two floating platforms, one for each direction which is clearly labeled with the stop names along the way. However on smaller vaporetto stops there is only one floating platform for both directions so you have to pay closer attention and get on the right vaporetto. When coming out of the Santa Lucia train station you will see the Grand Canal straight ahead of you, as you face the canal the direction to San Marco will be towards your left. I also agree that it's very convinient to buy a multi-day pass. Also don't forget to validate your ticket after purchasing it by sticking it in the yellow machine which will stamp the date and time on it.
Aug 27th, 2003, 01:08 PM

We used LimoserviceRome (www.limoservicerome.com)from the airport to the Pantheon, not too far from Piazza Navona and it was 52 euros. It was nice to have a driver waiting for us after a long flight and not having to wait in the taxi line. In Venice, we took the #82 down the Grand Canal. I never saw the need for a private water taxi...they are very expensive.

Search this Thread