Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transportation from airport to hotel in Venice

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Julie Boyle

I am planning a vacation package to Venice this Spring. The package does not include airpiort transfers. Could anyone tell me how I can safely get from Marco Polo Airport to the Saint Mark's Square area? And how much would that cost? Thanks for your help!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Ana

ok, first thing you should know is that the water taxis are EXPENSIVE. You should take a regular cab into the last plaza (i can't recall the name) and then the vaporetto. Depends on how long you stay, there are one day- week and month passes. Vaporettos are your best choice. Vennice is actually 130 small islands joined by bridges.
By the way, I didn't care much for the gondola ride - 120.000 lts. and lots of smell , even in the autumn.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 10:10 AM
Dean

You have choices. From most expensive to least:

Water Taxi (about $70.00 us for 2). There will be a number of water taxi in the water at the airport or, at worst, a short wait for one. There is usually someone on shore making the arrangements. Water Taxi are beautiful wooden speedboats with an open passenger area as well as a closed in cabin. You need to agree on your rate including a surcharge for your baggage. This is certainly the most enjoyable and decadent way to enter Venice. Be sure to lean back on the transom of the boat and let the wind blow your hair as you cross the lagoon. The Taxi will take you to the landing of your hotel if it is canalside or to the landing nearest your hotel if not.

Vaporetto: Take the Lineaa Alilaguna from the Aeroporto to San Marco. Not nearly as much fun, runs once an hour, much cheaper (maybe $5.00 a person). You will wind up a little off San Marco. You will also get a mini tour as it makes stops along the way.

Last, you can bus to Piazzale Roma and then Vaporetto N.82 or 1 to San Marco. Not very convienient at all, the other two ways are much better.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Ana

Thanks, that's the name of the plaza, piazzale Roma. It is currently 50.000 lts. from the airport to Piazale Roma. I sure know the rates, since my bag was lost with Air France and had to travel into the airport several times.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Diane

We used Vaporetto passes as we drove and left the car at Tronchetto. HOWEVER, if I really wanted to feel like I was a character in a Cary Grant movie from the 50-60s, I'd splurge on the water taxi. They looked SO COOL. My husband was the one that dubbed them "Cary Grant" boats -- and I think it is spot on.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 11:27 AM
dan woodlief

We used the Alilaguna boat a few weeks ago. It was pretty inexpensive, but I can't remember the exact rate at the moment. The airport terminal is very very small, and you can't possibly lose your way inside. Go out of the end of the terminal, and you are right there at the boat dock. Ask someone outside to point you to the Alilaguna boat. It took less than an hour and was a nice ride into Venice (at sunset for us). I would think the Water Taxi is even nicer, but you pay a big price for it. If you are staying near San Marco, the Alilaguna works very well. We had to walk the length of the square and then down a side street and had one heavy bag plus others. It was fine, but he bridges can be tough if you have heavy baggage. If you are staying in Venice a few days, you may want to get one of the vaporetto passes, so you don't have to buy them when you want to board a boat. You can pick those up at the same desk that sells Alilaguna tickets. We got the three-day pass. We probably didn't save much money, but I feel we saved a little, and it was good to be able to just jump on and off boats when we needed without worrying about a ticket. You validate the pass the first time you use it.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Steve

Julie - There's a ticket counter in the Venice airport (next to the currency exchange counter) where you can buy a bus ticket to the main Venice boat dock area. Costs less than $5/person. Kinda like a Greyhound. Once in the dock parking lot, you walk toward the docks to find the vaporetto that you need (#1, #82, #33, etc.). Your hotel should be able to tell you which one to take to reach your canal "stop." We just got back a few days ago and that's the way we did it. Works fine.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Karen

My vote is for the private water taxi. We returned from Venice in mid-October after a 12-day stay and used it both ways. From the airport to the Campo San Zulian, steps to our hotel, for two of us and two suitcases and two carry-on bags it was L150.000 one-way. After a very very long travel day from the US (an hour drive to the airport and two changes of planes) we were in no mood or condition to spend more time getting to our hotel. Also, we weren't sure if we'd have to cross any bridges (which we didn't) and those steps are killers with rolling suitcases, especially if the suitcases are heavy. Plus we're both recovering from recent but different leg and knee surgeries. When it was time to come home, we did a "dry run" from our hotel to the dock at St. Mark's Square for the Alilaguna boat, thinking we might save money (it was L19.000 each), but, we decided with the people congestion and pidgeons and the distance across St. Mark's, we'd go for the convenience of the private water taxi again. We loved the ride through the small canals to the Grand Canal and then to the airport. It was one splurge that was really worth it for us.