Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transportation for Venice to Amalfi to Rome

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am helping my sister last-minute for her honeymoon. They want to go to Rome, Florence, Venice and the Amalfi Coast (Positano I believe).

The current itinerary is ...
8/29-9/1: arrive Rome, go directly to Florence
9/1-9/3: Venice
9/4-9/7: Amalfi Coast
9/7-9/10: Rome

What is the best way to get from Venice to Positano? Should they fly from Venice to Naples? And how about from there to Rome? Any timing suggestions? Any comments are much appreciated!
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 11:35 AM

Earlier this year we flew from Venice to Naples on Air One. It was easy to book on line on the airline website. There is a very nice bus (Greyhound type) from the Naples Airport to at least as far as Sorrento, only 6 euro each, maybe it goes further. If the airport bus doesn't go as far as Positano, then they could take another bus from the same spot, like a public bus, we took it one day from Sorrento to see Positano. Buy the tickets from the newsstand at the Sorrento train station. Others on this site have used private car and driver to get around Amalfi coast. Back to Rome probably bus or train to Naples then train to Rome (although we took ferry from Sorrento to Naples so maybe could do the same from Positano).
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Although I can't really help you get from Venice to Rome or Naples, I can suggest a private tour we arranged from Sorrento along the Amalfi through Benvenuto Limos (www.benvenutolimos.com). There were 5 of us and we hired Giovanni for the entire day for like 300 Euros. Well worth the money. He was very informative, drove a Mercedes SUV and he would drop us off in each city for us to explore on our own. He may assist or even pick you up in Naples. The ferry from Naples to Sorrento is not very romantic!
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
ira

Hi G,

Are they leaving the US on 8/29 or arriving in Rome on 8/29?

Do they have their plane tickets?

It would be much easier to
Fly into Venice
Train to Florence
Train to Rome
Train to Salerno and take the ferry to Positano
Fly home from Naples.

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 12:35 AM

I do agree with ira...she suggested the best and cheapest plan. Anyway, if you've already booked your flight from Rome, I'd suggest to rent a car at http://www.italycarservice.it/limousine_transfers.php

and stop at Ostia Antica before goign to the airport. It definitely worth a visit.

Have fun
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

They are arriving into Rome on 8/29. Flying in/out of Rome is fixed as they are flying on miles.