Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

transportation connections london to bruge?

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 09:45 PM
stefanie

We are traveling from London to Bruges then from Bruges to Paris. I'm deciding between two ways to get from London to Bruges:
1)fly from London to Brussels (cheap fare on virgin express $50) but how do I get from Brussels airport to Bruge?
2) second option is to take eurostar to brussels, but how easy/cheap is it to take another train to bruge?
I couldn't find any train routes on raileurop.com from brussels to bruge.

We will then need to take the train from Bruge to Paris, is this easiest done via Brussels?
Thanks!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 02:43 AM
Ishoo

It is very easy to take a train from Brussels to Brugge. From the airport you take a train to Brussels Nord and transfer to a train bound for Brugge. I believe they depart from the airport every 15 minutes. The train from Brussels to Brugge departs every 30 minutes. I am pretty sure you must return to Brussels from Brugge to make a connection to Paris. Train travel in Belgium is very good and reasonable. Good luck and enjoy Belgium, it is one of the most delightful countries we have visited in Europe. Try www.b-rail.be

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 10:52 PM
Tony

You can also travel by train from Brugge to Paris via Lille. In fact you can travel from London to Brugge via Lille also, but it can involve a few changes.
If you have time go to www.bahn.de, click onto the English version, then it will show you the various ways of rail travel for both your journeys.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 11:46 PM
Sue

Stefanie....we just traveled from Paris to Bruges on Thalys train. You'll have to switch trains at Brussels, then it's non-stop to Paris. Much easier than I thought it would be. If there is an announcement that you don't understand, smile at the guy across from you, ask him if he speaks English (if that's your language!)....most do and are happy to help out tourists. We had no trouble w/ the Paris to Bruges route, but when we went from Bruges to Amsterdam a few days later, some poor soul had committed suicide on the main track and we ended up having to switch to 6 different trains instead of the single one we were supposed to. It probably sounds like a nightmare, but it turned out to be a great adventure and we met quite a few charming people and only lost a couple hours in Amsterdam. Happy trails!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Lynn

Take the eurostar to Brussels Midi Station. You can buy a multi-pass ticket for minimum of 2 persons up to 10 persons for about $10.00 per person round trip. These are blank tickets enabling you to travel anywhere in Belgium roundtrip. You just fill in the date and destination when you board the train. Be careful about trying to take the train from the airport into town. It only goes to Brussels Central and most trains to destinations like Brugge, Paris, etc. leave from Brussels Midi. The Eurostar goes to Brussles Midi.

The Multi-Pass tickets are a great value, can be bought at any train station and are good for a year.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Liz

The train from Brussels airport does NOT go just to Central. We took it to Midi where we changed trains to go to Brugge.