Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Transportation and hotel reservations in Romania (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/transportation-and-hotel-reservations-in-romania-877089/)

clani Feb 8th, 2011 12:05 PM

Transportation and hotel reservations in Romania

My family will be traveling from Budapest or Eger Hungary to Romania this July. We'd like to see Maramures, the painted Monasteries and Transylvania over 7 days. (Is that enough time?) We'll be flying out of Bucharest back to the US.
Is it possible to book hotels in Romania along the way or is it advisable to make reservations ahead of time? We wanted to move town to town casually but sometimes destinations get so busy that hotel reservations are necessary.
Another question: what is best and easiest way to get to Romania from Budapest or Eger? Are their flights or buses from Budapest or Eger? What's the best way to get around Romania--car, guide, bus, train? Thank you for your insight!

Vallburg Feb 20th, 2011 06:22 AM

Have a look at www.mtour.ro. The guide it is very experienced and it can help you with very nice home stay in Maramures and Bucovina.

Michael Feb 20th, 2011 07:48 AM

Seven days is too short for what you want to do. You might want to take a look at my trip report. Just click on my name to find it. One way rentals have stiff drop-off fees. Not all agencies will allow a rental from Hungary to Romania without a stiff extra fee. You will need a car to see just half of what you want to see simply because of time lost if you use public transportation; or, for your time frame, a guide with transportation may be the best bet.

thursdaysd Feb 27th, 2011 06:53 AM

Hmmm - this is Vallberg's first and only post. The site he links doesn't give the name of the guide, but if it's Ciprian Slemcho (or Slemco) avoid at all costs. See http://wilhelmswords.com/eur2006/index.html - Roaming Romania for why.

bilboburgler Feb 27th, 2011 06:58 AM

July is a busy month. But hotels can be silly prices and not very good. I'd use something like booking.com or tripadvisor but don't buy the most expensive you will be ripped off, look out for Western European standards.

If it were me I'd catch a first class tain to Bucherest and then take a train North.

valtor Feb 27th, 2011 07:27 AM

If you want to visit Transilvania, Maramures and the painted monasteries, maybe will be better to travel by train from Budapest to Cluj (it is closest than Bucharest). Visit from there Transilvania, go then to Maramures, then to Bucovina and from there to Bucharest for your flight back home.

Bilboburgler is right about hotels. Did you think about pensions? There are many new buildings, with all comfort and good services. In general you can make a reservation without paying in advance and without giving as waranty your card number (just write them when you want to come). You will find in internet a large list of pensions.

bilboburgler Feb 27th, 2011 09:10 AM

Pension is the right way to go, lots have been built recently by honest hard working types who made their money in the West and have invested it in mini-hotels.

thursdaysd Mar 16th, 2011 06:09 AM

Update: seems that www.mtour.ro is Ciprian's - not surprising as it's the site he was using before. He's just taken his name off and put "Irene" on instead.

Sam_CelRoman Mar 17th, 2011 10:57 AM

In general, you don't need to book ahead. There's usually good options available for anything BUT the seaside (Black Sea).

Except for a fancy hotel in Bucharest, don't use one of those mega tourism websites. Usually you can negotiate a far better price in person.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to contact me (click on my name). And welcome to Romania! :D

FloridaFlirt Apr 7th, 2011 09:24 PM

We took a private tour in October of '09 with Compass Travel Romania. Started and ended in Bucharest. We got a car and a (excellent) private guide and got to see a lot.

Our tour was the Romanian Rhapsody (www.tours-of-romania.com)

Kaitar_Janos Apr 15th, 2011 04:43 AM

The best way to travel with your family from Hungary to Romania, is to hire a private guide with a minivan, who speaks both languages- Hungarian and Romanian. This way you could interact with the locals and see much more things as from a train or a crowded bus. You have the opportunity to customize the route as well, even during he tour. (www.bucovinakaitartravel.com)

bilboburgler Apr 15th, 2011 05:21 AM

Istvan Kaitar or Janos

I think this is advertising as a new fodorite you should not do this