Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Transport Sorrento - Pisciotta via Salerno?
Notices

Transport Sorrento - Pisciotta via Salerno?

Feb 2nd, 2013, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Transport Sorrento - Pisciotta via Salerno?

My brother and his wife need to get from Sorrento to Pisciotta and can't work out the most logical way to do this. They are open to staying somewhere other than Sorrento but they do want to include a day at Pompeii. Can anyone help please? They have 4 nights before they move on to Pisciotta. Thanks in advance, Cathie
Feb 2nd, 2013, 12:45 AM

I'd assume there are fairly frequent local buses (and the possibility of taxis) that would take them the three km or so into Pisciotta from the 'PISCIOTTA PALINURO' station - where lots of railway trains stop....

http://www.e656.net/orario/stazione/..._palinuro.html

There's a more exact version, but you have to enter times of day (using "Cambia fascia oraria"), here:

https://prm.rfi.it/qo_prm/QO_Arrivi_....00&alle=08.00

For more precise directions, try having a look at the websites of hotels nearby!

From Sorrento....

For economically-minded beginners, perhaps simplest to return to Naples - through whose Napoli Centrale station many of those trains will pass - either by Circumvesuviana train or hydrofoil to the harbour and then a taxi or bus... both relatively simple, but take a while!

Or they could "cut the corner" - and join a train further down the line.... either by changing stations in the town of Pompei (bus or taxi from the Circumvesuviana stop to the Trenitalia station there) or by going by SITA bus to Salerno - which would involve changing in Amalfi, for timetables look to the end of this page:

http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/index.html

(Would be nicer, but note that even in high summer "through" services from Sorrento to Salerno by sea are very limited)

If Ok with something more expensive, they could have a car drive them to that station in Pompei, or the one in Salerno... which latter would get them a good look at the Amalfi Coast along the way!

Here's a map of the area, with my rough estimates of public transport travel times - given the nature of the roads and the traffic, on some routes cars won't necessarily be very much faster...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370

Some of the services mentioned above are more influenced by season than others, so they should be sure to re-check near to their travel date!

Does that move things forward at all?

Peter
Feb 2nd, 2013, 12:43 PM

We went to the Cilento coast in October and took the train from Naples to Salerno, then rented a very inexpensive car through Kemwel. The roads were good.

Are they staying at the Marulivo Hotel? It really is a beautiful place with good restaurants nearby. We loved it. The whole area is very affordable and cocktails at sunset from their deck was memorable.
Feb 2nd, 2013, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both, yes Peter, it does help a lot! I'll pass your info on to my brother. They will be there in May this year so hopefully all options will be available at that time of the year.

Rosetravel, I'm not sure which hotel they are staying in, they are meeting up with friends who have organised the accommodation.

I'm very envious of their trip, which is their first to Europe. They are spending all 5 weeks in Italy and have resisted the urge to try to 'do' all of Europe which we see so often on Fodor's.

Search this Thread