Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   transport from paddington to marble arch (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/transport-from-paddington-to-marble-arch-261716/)

romsy Sep 28th, 2002 03:29 PM

transport from paddington to marble arch

My flight arrives in LHR @3:15 pm. I plan to take the heathrow express to paddington, then the tube from paddington to marble arch where my hotel is...will be traveling with one 22' upright carry-on...Is this an ok option or should I just take a taxi from heathrow or paddington to the hotel to avoid possible rush hour inconveniences with my luggage on the tube?(would really not like to break the bank though, if possible)....I'm ok with one carry-on but I've read in the forum that luggage in the tube at rush hour does not sit well with fellow commuters...first time in london...thanks

Moonbeam Sep 28th, 2002 04:03 PM

Me speaking, I take express and a taxi! So it costs you 5 or 6 GBP . Better than walking , dragging, escalating bags , however small, thru the tube!<BR>On the tube you really should stand with your bag at the doors,,so spend an extra few pounds and arrive in comfort!<BR><BR>Skip lunch one day if needed!

xxx Sep 28th, 2002 04:15 PM

Taking the tube from Paddington to Marble Arch is going to involve 2 trains...bakerloo to Oxford Circus and then Central to Marble Arch...pain to keep changing trains.<BR><BR>Frankly I think the most economical way to get to Marble Arch is to take the Airbus...costs something like 7 or 8 pounds somewhat longer than Paddington Express but some of the time gained by the Paddington Express is easily lost by the ground transport from Paddington.<BR><BR>Just don't think it is worth &pound;11 + ground transport over airbus to save a few minutes; especially since the Airbus goes directly to Marble Arch.

ron Sep 28th, 2002 04:40 PM

Roms, it's less than a mile walk from Paddington Station to Marble Arch. Perhaps a pleasant 20 minute stroll after the long plane ride and the short train ride?

Sue Sep 28th, 2002 04:46 PM

I agree that the Airbus is very convenient - and comfortable. I usually take it to Heathrow from my hotel area. For me, the tube is quite easy from Heathrow, as my hotel is near the Russell Square tube station, and I've never had a problem. I don't know if I would do it if I had to change tube lines, though. Maybe I would, but I really like the Airbus.

Lori Sep 28th, 2002 05:45 PM

I vote for taxi - a lot less hassle and it won't cost much really. You can't put a price on the convenience of not dragging luggage (even a small one) up and down stairs in rush hour on the tube. Start your vacation off on the right food. If you only do one cab ride in London make this one it. I would not plan on dragging a piece of luggage ona 20 minute walk through rush hour luggge either. Not a great way to start the trip.

Lori Sep 28th, 2002 05:45 PM

I meant start on the right foot - not food!! Guess it is time for dinner :-)

romsy Oct 3rd, 2002 12:51 PM

Thank you to everyone for their replies. I've decided to to do the taxi from paddington to the hotel. Will save the tube(and walk:)) for exploring the city sans luggage...thanks again