Search

Junfrau

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Junfrau

Does anyone know if there is a mountain hut or another place to stay between Gimmelwald and Grindelwald? Can I hike from one to the other with a night in between?

Thanks
Old May 18th, 2016, 02:15 PM

know nothing about huts in that area but Wengen is about half way I would think.
Old May 18th, 2016, 02:31 PM

The Pension in Gimmelwald is pretty rugged but has a pretty outside cafe/patio with unforgettable views. There is virtually nothing much in Gimmelwald but you're a hike or cablecar away from the other villages. Those huts along the mountains are 'stops' for hikers, not sure if they offer or allow overnight stays, nor do I know if they take reservations.
Old May 18th, 2016, 02:36 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I found this on TripAdvisor, perhaps it might help:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...n_of_Bern.html
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I was originally thinking staying at the base of Junfrau for the night in between. It would be about two 5 hour hiking days but I can't confirm if there is a hut there or not. Doesn't seem like a village or anything I can book for sure.
The whole region is beautiful so I am sure we wont miss out even if that isn't our route.
Old May 18th, 2016, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Berghaus Grindelwald on the Kleine Scheidegg. It's a bit like a mountain hut/hostel. I stayed there many years ago and enjoyed it. You can walk down to the valley and back up to Kleine Scheidegg.
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:52 AM

It is not practical to hike from Gimmelwald to Grindelwald as an overnight, at least not for me. You could hike from Gimmelwald to Obersteinberg hut in 3 to 5 hours (depending on your condition and how often you want to stop and enjoy the scenic views). While staying there you can hike on to Oberhornsee in another hour or so. Then the next day you could continue down into the valley to Stechelberg in about 2 hours and catch the Post bus to Lauterbrunnen, or hike there in another 2 hours or less. From Lauterbrunnen you can take the train to Wengen and Grindelwald, or hike Wengen in 2 to 5 hours, depending on which route you choose. From Wengen up through Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald would then be another 5 or more hours. There is one hut near the base of the Jungfrau, the Rotal Hut. But even from Stechelberg that hike is a very demanding 5 to 6 hours. Since Gimmelwald and Grindelwald are on opposite sides of the Lauterbrunnental valley many of the routes are steep and challenging. But there are a variety of routes, the views are rewarding, and there are ways to shorten the journey with post buses, rail or lifts. I’d suggesting you get a copy of Kev Reynolds, The Bernese Alps Walkers Guide to help plan your trip.
Old May 19th, 2016, 05:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hiking routes can be seen here:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/fileadmin/ima...anderkarte.pdf