Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transport from Nice Airport to Eze - Uber or Taxi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would someone be able to share their experience re catching either an Uber or taxi from the Nice airport to the village Eze. I understand that the villa we will be staying at is in the lower part of the village Eze, not all the way to the highest point of Eze so I'm hoping that would be more agreeable for an Uber or taxi driver.
We will be arriving in the evening of Saturday 4/21/18 after 12 hours of flying so I would like to just get to our lodging and not have to take bus(es). Also, my understanding is that in April-June there is to be a train strike in France. I am an American and can speak some basic tourist French. Merci beaucoup! Barbara

Last edited by Grebara2; Apr 3rd, 2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 12:15 AM

So are you planning to stay in Eze without any means of transportation around the area? I can't answer your question because I've only been to Eze when I've had a car, but I don't understand why a taxi or Uber driver would make any distinction at all between the lower part of the village and the highest point. A car doesn't care if there's a hill involved.

You can follow the rail strike information on The Local, France Bleu, or the SNCF site.
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 03:33 PM

I generally take an Uber, and I believe you should be able to call one (picking up is a different story). Are you in Eze-Sur-Mer or somewhere between the upper village and the sea? Just to note, when you book an Uber on the app you will be shown a door to exit and generally must cross the curb to the "Kiss and Fly" zone. I've found whenever I use the service, the driver frequently speaks english even though I'm functional in French.

An option to a taxi is to pre-book a transfer. A company like Friend in France offers flat rates, but there are others.

Your arrival day is thankfully not a strike day. It's possible to take a train from the Aeroport to Eze-sur-Mer, but it's a bit of a walk to the station. Be sure to note the strike days, as if you are in the lower village the train is often the easiest way to get around.
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 03:43 PM

Trains indeed go all up and down the Riviera coast line (and from Eze to Ventimiglia, Italy often right along the coast. So if near Eze-sur-Mer station you can be in Nice, Cannes, Antibes, Menton, etc really quicker than cars often and buses go from train stations to hill towns like St-Paul de Vence. So car is not needed for most tourist destinations. See www.oui.sncf for schedules and fares - for info on seeing Riviera by train also check BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Rivera shuttle trains need no reservations and may not even taken them - flat fare I believe and cheap so just buy tickets at stations as you go. There may be some kind of pass - check locally.
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 04:50 PM

I took Uber from Nice to Eze and back. Going was no problem. Going back was a little bit of a problem as we had an internet connection, but no cel phone service. So when the driver couldn't find us (we could see his location on line), we could not communicate. We eventually got a driver, but it took a little while. Just be aware that the location service is not exact.
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 10:49 AM

If staying in Eze-sur-Mer and into a little exercise you can trek up the Philosopers Path to Eze way above - a very famous and heavily touristed town with fab views over the azure-hued waters of the Cote d'Azur. Neitchske (sp?) often walked that path thus the name. You can also take a bus to Eze above and then walk down the path.
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 11:09 AM

Sheesh, I was thinking of Uzès, which doesn't have a train station. Désolée. Carry on.
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 11:15 AM

I'd rather the a taxi or uber because by bus it should be a little bit long, you'll have to get at least 2 buses. Be careful with the trains, there are some strikes in France... (SNCF and even Air France).
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 01:44 PM

Take a taxi, after 12 hours flying you’ll want the easiest option. Can’t imagine any problems. If train you have to get yourself to train station...hassle. Buses are usually slow and may require changes.
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 01:46 PM

If the train station were actually in the airport that may be nice but it's on the periphery - no doubt here if budget not an issue go by car.
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Very helpful to know about the "Kiss and Fly" zone! Merci!
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Merci--very helpful to know about sometimes lack of internet coverage in Eze!
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 06:09 AM

Is Eze third world?