Transport from Naxos to Athens questions

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Transport from Naxos to Athens questions

Hi - my friends & I will be travelling from Naxos to Athens on July 16. I've researched transport from advice on this site, and see that the ferry takes about 5-6 hours, whereas a flight takes about 45 minutes.

Can anyone tell me approximately how much is the ferry? (couldn't find the fare listed with the times) The flight on Olympic is quoted on their website for $74.

And, which is more reliable, Olympic flight or ferry?

Seems like $74 would be worth it for the time savings, since we're already getting the 'ferry experience' athens-mykonos-santorini-naxos....but want to make sure that booking the flight in advance is a good idea before we do it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:45 PM

There are also Hi-speed catamarans that take about 3 hours to Piraeus, probably as fast as flying, bearing in mind security checks and everything. The thing to have is a back up plan like a couple of ferries going later etc.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:10 PM

Blue Star Ferries' web site gives times and fares for their services (www.bluestarferries.com). From Naxos to Pireas by ship takes about five hours and the basic fare is 22.40 euros.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Retsina: do you know the name of the catamarans? I hadn't found that yet in my searching, and would like to compare the cost of that to the flight.

Geoffhamer: thanks for the fare info! I was on a site that wasn't listing fares, so that's helpful for a basis to compare.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 11:27 AM

According to www.gtp.gr the catamaran from Naxos to Athens/Piraeus is not a passenger-only ferry but a passenger/car ferry operated by Hellenic Seaways which takes about 3.75 hours, departing every day but Wednesday at 11:45 and again at 20:45 (including Wednesdays).

It's frustrating, but fares are difficult to find, not give out by the company for some reason. I haven't had any luck with this one, but it's probably a little more expensive than the regular car ferry and not nearly as much as $74. To me flying is the better choice, although lately there have been a lot of complaints about Olympic. Definitely book in advance, and do it as soon as you can. The flights fill up quickly and standby is next to impossible to get at the last minute.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 02:36 PM

I have been to Naxos numerous times and there will be roughly 2/day when you are there.

The fare is €38.30 now, but fares usually increase in June.

You must look in the ferry agents on Naxos when you are there for the up to date timings, the Hi-speed boats are usually indicated in red on the boards outside.

You are going to the most touristy area so there will be plenty of ferries.

The company is Minoan/Hellenic Seaways. The fast catamaran car ferries are called 'Hispeed 1/2/3/4/5'.

http://www.forth-crs.gr/hfd/english/pgres.exe?PM=CR