Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Transport from Munich to Geneva? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/transport-from-munich-to-geneva-740316/)

super_duper_linda Oct 2nd, 2007 11:14 AM

Transport from Munich to Geneva?

hi all!

My friend and I are very excited about visiting Geneva and have already booked our accomodation. However, we can't find any way of getting from Munich to Geneva.

Friends have recommended a car ferry, but how do we know which city to go via? and also friends have recommended checking up EuroCity trains, however I can't seem to find the website for it. :(

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

swandav2000 Oct 2nd, 2007 11:28 AM

Hi super_duper,

You can check the train schedule at the Swiss rail site,

www.rail.ch

Just enter from: Munich and to: Geneva, and your schedule will come up.

Good luck!

s

altamiro Oct 2nd, 2007 11:38 AM

>Friends have recommended a car ferry, but how do we know which city to go via?

Get a geography book as a chritmas present for these friends.

>and also friends have recommended checking up EuroCity trains, however I can't seem to find the website for it

www.bahn.de or www.sbb.ch
EuroCity is just a type of train, not a company.

W9London Oct 2nd, 2007 12:18 PM

If you're looking for an alternative to driving, Lufthansa/Swiss have code-shared flights between MUC and GVA. I don't know of any budget airlines that connect the two cities.

PalenQ Oct 2nd, 2007 12:50 PM

Trains run about every 2 hours Munich-Zurich and take about 4 hours

change in Zurich for hourly or more trains to Geneva, taking about three hours

so a long day on the train.

I'd consider the car ferry. the ride down the Rhine is spectacular, especially when you go over the Rhine Falls.

bob_brown Oct 2nd, 2007 02:20 PM

Hmm. Go over the Rhine Falls??. No thanks. I have seen the falls twice and going over them is not my idea of fun. Does one use a padded barrel?

If you take the train all the way from Munich your best bets in terms of travel times are at 7:12 and 12:34. Both trips take close to 8 hours, but you make one change of trains in Zürich.

The 7:12 departure is the shortest one in terms of travel time.

Both rides are fairly dull scenery wise.

I am not convinced the route via Schaffhausen where the falls on the Rhine are located is worth the extra time and expense. You pass by so quickly that you only catch a good glimpse.

If you want to see the Rhine Falls, there is a good viewpoints or two near the town of Schaffhausen.

TimS Oct 2nd, 2007 03:09 PM

According to the timetables at www.bahn.de, the most direct day train route is Muenchen-Stuttgart-Zuerich-Geneve, leaving Muenchen at 05:24. The standard fare for all three legs together is €125.

However, if you book each leg separately far enough in advance, you can get a Dauer-Spezial fare of €29 for Muenchen-Stuttgart and a Europa-Spezial fare of €19 for Stuttgart-Zuerich. Book each of those at www.bahn.de.

The standard fare for Zuerich-Geneve is €46. Either book that ticket at www.sbb.ch/en or just wait and buy it in Muenchen.

The two discount fares plus the standard fare come to €94, thus saving you €31.

hopscotch Oct 2nd, 2007 05:16 PM

<i>My friend and I are very excited about visiting Geneva</i>
I like Geneva and I lived there, but &quot;very excited?&quot; Have you heard of Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Prague, etc., etc. I would put Geneva at about number 4 or 5 place to visit in Switzerland and about number 99 in Europe.

<i>Friends have recommended a car ferry </i>
TROLL.

TimS Oct 2nd, 2007 06:50 PM

bob_brown is correct and I'm not. The most direct route, leaving Muenchen at 07:12, requires only one change--at the Zuerich airport station. I didn't find any discount fares. The standard fare for the whole trip is &euro;100.20.