Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Transport from Fiumicino to Termini Station? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/transport-from-fiumicino-to-termini-station-38653/)

pattie Feb 17th, 1999 10:36 PM

Transport from Fiumicino to Termini Station?

I would appreciate some information on the fastest and simplest way to go from Fiumicino Airport (Leonardo da Vinci) in Rome to Termini Station? And could you tell me a little about the area around Termini Station? I read in one travel book that it is a bad part of town. Any info would be greatly appreciated! I am going the first week in April. thanks, pattie

Denise Feb 18th, 1999 12:54 AM

Hi Pattie, <BR> <BR>We were in Rome in October last. The train runs from the airport to Termini Station. I have it written in my diary that it cost us, one way ticket, $15.00 each (Australian) We were, at that time, working one dollar / 1000 lire. So, roughly it was 15000 lire each, one way. We actually went from the station to airport, after having walked with our cases to the station. WE stayed in the Patria Hotel, easy walk from Termini. We found that area very nice, and not bad at all.. On our return trip to Rome later in the month, we stayed Regno Hotel, near the Trevi Fountain. A cab from the station to the hotel cost us $18 Aust. and only about a 10 minute ride tops. <BR>Near the station, you will find plenty of restaurants hotels etc. Denise <BR>

Denise Feb 18th, 1999 01:01 AM

Hi Pattie, <BR> <BR>We were in Rome in October last. The train runs from the airport to Termini Station. I have it written in my diary that it cost us, one way ticket, $15.00 each (Australian) We were, at that time, working one dollar / 1000 lire. So, roughly it was 15000 lire each, one way. We actually went from the station to airport, after having walked with our cases to the station. WE stayed in the Patria Hotel, easy walk from Termini. We found that area very nice, and not bad at all.. On our return trip to Rome later in the month, we stayed Regno Hotel, near the Trevi Fountain. A cab from the station to the hotel cost us $18 Aust. and only about a 10 minute ride tops. <BR>Near the station, you will find plenty of restaurants hotels etc. Call into McDonalds and pick up a free map of Rome. McDonalds everywhere, and one or two VERY close to station. Outside the station you can pick up the Stop and Go bus. This bus tours Rome, on a set route, on an hourly basis and costs 20000 lire each. You can get on and off at stops near all the sites as often as you wish in one day. From this area, we walked to Spanish steps (15 minutes) Trevi Fountain, about same time. It isn't really far to any of the sites, but you are doing a lot of walking when you get to most of them anyway, so the Stop and Go is a great way from one to the other. the bus also does a very large loop around Rome so you can see the city as you go. Email me if you wish. Denise

KRISTA Feb 18th, 1999 05:48 AM

Pattie, <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Royal Santina Hotel literally across the street from the train station. While there were some unsavory characters hanging around the station, we did not find it to be scary or dangerous. We found many great outdoor restaurants just a few streets over from Termini. We ate most of our dinners there since it was convenient to the hotel. The FS train from the airport to Termini was 15000 Lire and made the trip in about a half hour.

Richard Feb 18th, 1999 08:46 AM

Pattie, If by chance you are using an Italian railpass, it's also good on the train from Fiumicino to Termini. The area around the station is fine, we arrived late at night and found the cab fare to our hotel in Trastevere to be outrageous, so we took a bus. Be careful of various scams, in and around the station. We were victims one early morning, we were catching the train to Venice and leaving early because a strike was due that day (sure enough, we got as far as Florence and everything came to a standstill). Rome is a wonderful city, my wife's favorite, but scams abound.

pattie Feb 18th, 1999 06:15 PM

Thank you all for the nice quick responses. I would appreciate any further infor about Rome, it seems the more I read about it, the more overwhelmed I get. What was your favorite things about Rome? Thanks again, pattie