Transport from Fiumicino airport to the Vatican

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I know to get to central Rome you can travel on the train to the centre of Rome and then on the under ground to the Vatican. Does anyone know of a shuttle or alternate bus route that goes straight from the airport to the Vatican. We are staying in a Hotel very close to the Vatican, and i was just thinking of a more direct route then the trains (rather than a taxi) Thanks
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 02:46 AM

Where exactly is your hotel? Vatican city is quite large, and depending on which side of it you are on, some transport options may be cheaper or more efficient than others.

Have you been to Roma, or Italy, before? Speak Italian? Knowing which stop you need to get off your bus, or negotiating transfers from trains to buses with luggage (and buying tickets) can be stressful, especially if people are jet lagged.

It is simple to take the airport train to Termini Station and a taxi from there to a hotel near the Vatican will run you about $25 - not really extravagant when you have luggage, are jet-lagged and are new to a town as large and chaotic as Roma, and whose antique streets are not well signed.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 02:58 AM

There are a number of shared shuttle buses from the airport to various hotels...I took one of these about 5 years ago but I cannot remember the name. If you Google "Rome airport shuttle" you will find a number of options, like this one:

http://www.rome-airport-shuttle.com/

Just be aware that, because they make stops at various hotels, the route can be circuituitous and might take longer than you imagine..
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 03:00 AM

HOWEVER: The one I linked charges 17.5 pp. For 35 Euro, you can take Rome Shuttle Limo's private cars, so for 2 pp, the shared shuttle might not be a great idea..

(The names of these companies are confusing; Rome Shuttle Limousine actually offers private cars/drivers!)
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replys, I obviously was not thinking straight, Have not been in Rome for 25 years, i do not speak Italian, and i do remember a few hectic bus rides around the area. And yes we will be jet lagged. I will look into the shared shuttle busses from the airport Thanks again
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:27 AM

www.airportshuttle.it
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Either Rome Shuttle Limousine(35&euro or a taxi (taxis are set fee of 40&euro.

As for public transport, it really would depend which side of Vatican City your hotel is on (you never said). The metro runs on one side while the trains are on the other. If on the train side, you can take a local train from Fiumicino aeroporto to Roma S Pietro which will cost 5.50€, but involves changing trains at Roma Trastevere. Travel time is about 45 minutes.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM

If you are staying at the Alimandi (a hotel we have enjoyed on two visits to Rome), you will be within one hundred yards of the Vatican. The hotel offers free transportation to and from the airport for its guests, so that would solve your problem.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Oooooh, I loved the Hotel Alimandi
Yes, they have a shuttle, but it operates only during certain hours. Coming in from the US, my time did not work with their schedule. I did end up using an airport shuttle service, but I don't remember which one. It was not a problem or I would have remembered it. LOL

Have fun and enjoy Rome and the Vatican
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 01:58 AM

I have used this transportation service before
www.romeshuttlelimousine.com
enjoy your trip