TRANSPORT FROM BRUGES - ANTWERP - AMSTERDAM

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, it's a little confusing here, if i want to take Thalys, there is no direct train from Bruges to Amsterdam, i will need to take Belgian Rail Intercity From Bruges to Antwerp (about 1hr 30mins), from there, take Thalys to Amsterdam, which takes another 1hr 30mins? is that correct?
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 05:57 PM

that's one possibility and the fastest way if you book REALLY early in advance to get the limited in number deep discounted Thalys tickets - if doing that when you buy a Thalys ticket pay the several euros extra for the ABS fare - Any (All?) Belgian Stations fare whereby you can go for about 5 euros on any train up to 24 hours prior to you Thalys departure - thus Bruges to Antwerp on the ABS fare - can even spend a day or overnight in Antwerp or even a few-hour look over enroute to Amsterdam.

If not wanting to book (in stone and those discounted tickets I do believe are non-refundable and non-changeable) in advance then eschew the Thalys at all costs and just take regular domestic IC trains Bruges to Antwerp Centraal and then IC trains from there to Amsterdam - it will take about an hour or a bit more longer but IC trains have a flat fare system with a much lowe fare than walk-up tickets on Thalys trains. But if not wanting to book in stone months perhaps in advance to get the limited in number Thalys discounted ducats, IC trains on a walk-up basis will not break the budget.

For lots about European trains check www.seat61.com - the Bible now on discounted fares all over Europe; and general info - www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi PalenQ, thanks for the info, i think i understand how it works already, it's from b-europe.com, let's say departure time: 14.32, reached Bruxelles-Midi at 15.38, then at 15.52, from bruxelle -Midi - amstredam central at 17.42 (ABS) - the fare is inclusive of these two stops.

I'm on budget trip, therefore i believe i cannot make good use of the ABS because i need to stick the trains as indicated in the booking, unless i do what you suggested, to buy the ticket on the spot.

I checked seat 61, IC fare is fixed, around 46euro i believe. i think i made a mistake as well, if this train stop at Brussel, i should have visited Bruges 1st, instead of Brussel, as it seems like a back track now, one more questions, as i mentioned just now that i'm on budget trip, if i wana take the cheapest fate , the departure time is 5.08am, may i know how safe is it for me to walk from the city center of Bruges to the station? probably start walking from 3.30am? in case i get lost, how long is the walking distance frm the center to the station?
note: i have not find the accomodation in Bruges yet.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 01:50 AM

It's quite safe walking to station in Bruges from the main accommodation areas even at that time - probably 20 to 30 mins - it's a while since I've done it.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 05:45 AM

Bruges is totally safe IME of going thru there and staying for years on business.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 11:28 AM

http://www.snuffel.be/

not sure what kind of accommodation you are looking for but I stayed here once when well out of being a youth and found it nice.

The quickest route Bruges - Amsterdam is via Antwerp not Brussels - most folks would like a short stop in Antwerp as much or more as in Brussels.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 01:52 PM

I'm on budget trip, therefore i believe i cannot make good use of the ABS because i need to stick the trains as indicated in the booking>

I am a bit flummoxed - do you have some special ticket - what kind of ticket do you have that requires a 5 am departure?

Could you please detail? I just don't understand your deal and why you can't just book the Thalys with ABS fare - if you book really early nothing can be as cheap as that TMK - maybe 39 euros or so all told?
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Northie & PalenQ.

This is the ticket I bought from Thalys:
bruges - Bruxelles Midi 5.08am - 6.09am
Bruxelles - Amsterdam Central 06.21am - 8.20am
*** adult fare NO FLEX ABS (BG)- comfort 2 (36euro)

I got an email from them as well - you do not therefore need to buy any extra train ticket(s) in order to travel by rail btw your international departure station and another SNCB station.

1. Means that I can travel by rail, btw brussel - Antwerp - bruges unlimited times without extra charges?
2. I was initially looking for Bruges -Antwerp -Amsterdam, it is only possible if I travel by IC, and buy the tickets on the spot ( For budget reason, I have no choice but to buy advance ticket from Thalys, which is Bruges - Bruxelles - Amsterdam )
Since it cannot be undone, is there any other way that I can still visit Antwerp without affecting my exiting ticket?
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 08:50 AM

Since it cannot be undone, is there any other way that I can still visit Antwerp without affecting my exiting ticket?>

No - you'd have to buy another Thalys or IC train ticket to Amsterdam from Antwerp as I believe you cannot break your journey on that ticket.
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 11:18 AM

and there are no refunds on those discounted Thalys tickets I do believe. Why did you chose such an early train - that fare should be available on later trains too IME if you booked really early that is. Caution to others - book Thalys tickets way in advance as limited in number discounted tickets can sell out months in advance and you may have to take such an obscenely early train then to get the lowest price.
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Apart from the cheap fare, it's because we don't need to sleep too long or waste too much time on travelling.

Besides, i thought the ticket i bought is already with ABS and i can in fact travel freely by rail btw my international departure station and another SNCB station??
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 09:03 AM

Besides, i thought the ticket i bought is already with ABS and i can in fact travel freely by rail btw my international departure station and another SNCB station??>

Yes if you bought the ABS fare in conjunction with the Thalys ticket - costs an extra 5 euros or so I think but I believe does not come automatically with a Thalys ticket unless requested - not totally sure as things change but be sure your ticket has the ABS feature.
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 09:04 AM

Besides, i thought the ticket i bought is already with ABS and i can in fact travel freely by rail btw my international departure station and another SNCB station??>

Yes if you bought the ABS fare in conjunction with the Thalys ticket - costs an extra 5 euros or so I think but I believe does not come automatically with a Thalys ticket unless requested - not totally sure as things change but be sure your ticket has the ABS feature.
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 09:05 AM

Old Sep 20th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Yes PalenQ, because i received another confirmation email from them stating the same:

"you do not therefore need to buy any extra train ticket(s) in order to travel by rail btw your international departure station and another SNCB station."
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Just realise the term in the fine print
" TICKET VALID TO / FROM ANY BELGIAN STATION
THIS TICKET IS VALID FOR ONE-WAY TRAVEL ON BELGIAN RAIL SERVICES TO / FROM ANY BELGIAN STATION WITHIN 24 HOURS OF YOUR INTERNATIONAL JOURNEY"

i believe this term clear my doubts, i thought the ABS means something like a pass which i can travel on the rail unlimited times, from any stations, return trips.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 09:26 AM

Yes the ABS fare is for a single trip to any Belgian station - period (or from any Belgian station to the Thalys train) - you have the ABS fare.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 02:55 PM

and yes the 24-hour validity period for the ABS fare means you could take a train to Brussels the day before and stay there and then not have to get up so so early for the Thalys.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

That's a good idea! Thanks PalenQ!