What to Wear in Scotland

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to Wear in Scotland

What's appropriate to wear in Scotland in August? Is it generally warm enough for shorts, or are slacks better? Jeans? Running shoes? How necessary are tie and coat at night, either in Glasgow/Edinburgh or the country?
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
August can be warm and muggy or cold/rainy - or both, or any combination of everything except hard freeze or Saharan heat.

What you want are layers of light weight clothing. No need for a heavy coat. You can take a pair of shorts - but they may not see the light of day. You may have warm weather where shorts would be OK. But defefinitely, mostly long pants.

If you need a coat/tie entirely depends on if you are planning posh dinners in upscale citycenter places. Even then 95% of tourists never need a tie. A sports coat can be a practical garment for just general touring/warmth.

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:16 PM

One August in the Highlands (Glencoe) we had a high of 42F degrees and horizontal rain. Shorts would not do, and you needed really good rain gear and warm clothes.

You are not very likely to see people in shorts in Edinburgh or Glasgow, in my experience, even though janisj is right about the variability of the weather.

Average high for Edinburgh in August is 65F, average low is 50F with 2.6" of rain. August is the rainiest month in Scotland. Right now it is 57F in Glasgow with light showers forecast. Not shorts weather.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Layering is a good idea. Unless you're from Maine or Minnesota your chance of needing shorts is slim. You will need a good strong umrellas, a rain jacket with hood and 2 pairs of sturdy walking shoes. (Often on pair won;t dry overnight.)

We spent a week in Scotland several July ago. It had been 85 when we left London. By the time we got to Edinburgh, 4 days later, it was in the high 40's and pounding rain. The heavy rain lasted only one day - but we had quite a bit of drizzle and it never got above the high 50's.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:12 PM

the reason I suggested one pair of shorts might be OK is that while it is MUCH more likely to be "long pants weather" - if it does turn warm it will feel very warm.

I've been in St Andrews the exact same week two years apart - once it was mid 50's, windy and felt about 45F, the next time it was 75+, totally calm and felt over 90.

One pair of shorts won't take up much space in the luggage, but if it does turn warm you'll be glad you have them. Now, I don't mean short shorts - but knee length-ish/walking shorts.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:39 PM

I agree - you'll be wearing long pants most of the time. The most important item of clothing in any season in Scotland or England is a good rain shell. I took a long-sleeved wool shirt-jac (worn sometimes it under my Marmot jacket) and wool hat on a London to Inverness tour in June and was happy to have both.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:49 PM

I was there last week. One day the high temp was 13C. In almost ten summers of traveling to Europe (including UK, Scandinavia, Switzerland,etc) I have never brought closed toe shoes, only sandals. I bought a pair of leather boots in Edinburgh, that's how cold I was. I also bought a wool sweater to wear under my rain coat (that I had brought). So yea, it can be really nasty. On the other hand, one day the sun came out for a few hours and boy did it warm up fast. It didn't stay that way, but I could see how if it did you'd want to be able to peel off a few layers.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 09:18 AM

Hello, is it ok if i open the discussion for a similar topic: if it is as cold and wet in August, what about September? I will be in Glascow the second week of September and I am still very confused what to pack!!!
Thank you
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 09:29 AM

No, you will be in Glasgow.

Instead of topping an 8 year old thread you probably should have started a new one of your own . . . But never mind.

I am sitting in Glasgow this very minute (after arriving in Edinburgh a couple of days ago). In 3 days it has been shirtsleeve weather, blustery/cold, wet, sunny, . . . As is normal.

Pack layers and something waterproof.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 11:03 AM

August/September in Scotland it's all about the same …unpredictable. Layers and rain jacket
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 11:50 AM

I am disappointed. I thought every male in Scotland is wearing kilts and no underwear.
Tssss.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 11:52 AM

Absolutely. I was in Scotland last June and it was delightfully warm - no jacket required! However, Scotland's weather is unpredictable most of the time, so as everyone else said, prepare for layers and hope for the best. Throw a pair of shorts in while you're packing, but plan on long pants. Take a jacket and a sweater and you'll be fine.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 11:25 PM

Amy: shorts and in mid September - I think not.

(In case you didn't notice, the OP is eight years old, we are now responding to a different question. )
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 11:31 PM

I'm going to Edinburgh for the Ploy this weekend, from 130 miles away, and I have a fleece, asweater, three teeshirts, a pair of heavy trousers, three pairs of socks, a dress, two pairs of shoes, and four sets of underwear. No waterproof. Rain is not forecast

And I forgot the shampoo.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 11:48 PM

UNDERWEAR!!!!! when in rome leave your skids off, but use plenty of midge repellent.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 01:47 AM

It depends what temperature climate you usually experience.

Italians wear fur coats in 75o

Scots wear shorts in 13o