Transport advice, Bakewell to Oxford

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We’re going to the Peak District in early May, after Scotland and northern England, and I’ve been booking trains between each stop (in time to get very low fares, thank goodness). When it comes to the trip from Baslow/ Bakewell to Oxford, however, the trains are running significantly higher prices.

We usually book First Class on the longer trips, as we’re in our early 70s and don’t want to have to flip our suitcases up on to the racks. Seems like there’s more room on the FC carriages and we’ve been able to put the suitcases between seats or in front of us. First Class on the tickets now open (which are for Friday, May 4) are 106 GBP now - which means 212 GBP total, plus the cabs to and from both hotels. It’s a Bank Holiday. We need them on Sunday, May 6th.

I have a quote from a transfer company, Peak Premier Travel, for 250 GBP door-to-door. The quotes have been given in a very timely manner, and I was impressed with that.

Any advice? Is there plenty of room on the regular carriages for luggage, or would we be more limited, and should stick with First Class. Do you know of another transfer company?

Thanks very much for your help.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 11:27 AM

Yes lots more room in first class - fewer seats -often empty seats - 2nd class is often chock full - no problem in first class for your luggage. www.seat61.com may have insights on how to get cheaper fares - general train info www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts. That said the transfer company and price sounds like a no-brainer vis-a-vis train fares. You did use National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables to search or the train franchise web site - both should be similar.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 01:14 PM

I'd go with the transfer company. There is absolutely no guarantee than 1st class won't be full or nearly full, plus you still have to schlepp your luggage onto the train and off and again no guarantee that there will be room between seats for luggage.In addition you'll need cabs making the transfer service even more affordable. Door to door service really can't be beat.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 03:05 PM

Iwan2go, this only applies if you're in the US, but I was spring cleaning today and came upon a fairly recent guide book for the Peak District. If you'd like it, Ill send it to you. I haven't used the private message feature here yet, but let's give it a go if you're interested. I am sadly recycling way too many guidebooks, but this one is recent and I'd be happy if someone can use it.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

OK, thanks everyone, I think we’ll spring for the service. Appreciate your advice and I’ll write up a trip report when it’s done.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 03:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have senior rallcards? That would save you a significant amount
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

No, Janis, we don’t. I’ve already booked all the trains save this one. The Edinburgh - Windermere was only 26 GBP each, the Windermere - Manchester was 20 GBP each. It’s just this one that’s expensive.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 05:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Pretty much all your rail travel would be cheaper with a senior rail card.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 08:34 PM

Have you tried looking for the prices if you book separately for Chesterfield-Birmingham and Birmingham-Oxford?
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 08:33 AM

How about researching National Express bus to Oxford?
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I’m looking now at the Saturday departures, and the fare has gone down to 115 GBP for two in first class. Sunday’s fare has not appeared yet. So the total would be less, but still about 155 pounds + tips for taxi to train, train, taxi to hotel. And the timing would be about an hour - two hours more (getting there early, transfer time, etc). I found another driver who charges 210 GBP, and because the difference is not that great and we’ll have more time, we’ve decided to splurge and get the driver.

For someone else who may be interested:

Pal, I looked and the National Express buses would work. The journey from Bakewell - Oxford is six hours 40 minutes, 23 GBP. It’s not something we would particularly want to do, but maybe someone else would!

Patrick, if I book separately the cost is 26 GBP Chesterfield-Birmingham New Street, Birmingham-Oxford is 26 GBP, for a total of 52 pounds - the same as if you booked it straight through.

Thanks again for all your advice, I appreciate it.
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 01:06 PM

I wouldn't bother with first class on this journey, which is made up of two short train rides of only 1+ hour each
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 01:24 PM

I think you chose the best option considering your needs. It's certainly what I would have done.