Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   translation help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/translation-help-1072261/)

pcecol1 Sep 19th, 2015 12:01 PM

translation help

Hey please help me with this simple translation i just want to make sure its correct. "Anything worth having is worth fighting for"

pcecol1 Sep 19th, 2015 12:02 PM

My current one is this "Niete vale avendo vale di lottare per" that right?

cornishannie Sep 19th, 2015 01:52 PM

I'm not sure that this is such an easy translation as idiomatic expressions don't always translate easily, and I suspect that this is beyond me, but I doubt very much that an Italian would express this [or any] sentiment in a sentence ending in "per" which means "for" i.e. you don't end a sentence with a preposition.

Perhaps something like:

Se si vuol averlo, si vuol combattere perlo. [if you want it, you will want to fight for it]. or perhaps better:

Se sia vale la pena di averlo, è vale la pena di combattere perlo. [if it's worth having, it's worth fighting for] but I don't like the "perlo" at the end.

perhaps a native speaker or someone who knows what they are talking about will assist.

pariswat Sep 19th, 2015 01:58 PM

Italians are close to French.
We (Frecnch) don't have (or haven't got) a translation for this idiom.

Christina Sep 19th, 2015 02:40 PM

It isn't even exactly good grammar in English, I think that's the problem. The first part would more properly be "anything that is worth having". I don't know Italian, but in French I believe that could be: tout ce qui vaut la peine d'avoir, vaut la lutte. I wouldn't translate literally, as you can't, just translate to something that means "anything that is worth having is worth the fight" .

I believe niete is supposed to be niente but negatives can be tricky (anything vs. nothing) and I haven't studied Italian very much but don't think that would be the way to start that sentence, more like tutto ciò che vale la pena...

I'm sure there are Italians around who will weigh

sandralist Sep 19th, 2015 05:26 PM

I might translate it like this:

Tutto vale la pena avere vale la pena una lotta

sandralist Sep 19th, 2015 05:53 PM

or on second thought, maybe this:

Tutto vale la pena avere vale la battaglia.

pariswat Sep 19th, 2015 05:58 PM

Sounds italian to me Sandra !

La bellissima donna !

In vino veritas (latin ? )

Buena notte (or close ...).

sandralist Sep 19th, 2015 05:59 PM

correction: una battaglia, rather than "la battaglia"

sandralist Sep 19th, 2015 06:02 PM

Insomnia is a latin word.

But a real Italian should weigh in. I'm just guessing, and there may be a tradtional Italian expression that captures exactly the same idea that would be the standard translation used by a pro.

sandralist Sep 20th, 2015 03:49 AM

When I woke up this morning I thought:

Se una cosa vale la pena di avere, si far vale la pena battagliando di avere.

I wonder if an Italian would find that ugly on the ear.

vinoroma Sep 20th, 2015 04:24 AM

i am not a native speaker either, but i have heard this before and i think it is closest: Bisogna lottare per ciò che vale la pena avere. it puts the emphasis a bit differently than the original, this is literally saying "(you) have to fight for that which is worth having". To bring it closer to the original, i'd say "tutto ciò che vale la pena avere per qui vale la pena lottare" - but no guarantees!

nochblad Sep 20th, 2015 04:41 AM

agree with vinoroma

Bisogna lottare per ciò che vale la pena avere

often in Italian the order of the phrase is the reverse of what it is in English

sandralist Sep 20th, 2015 05:00 AM

Interesting. I tend to think the equivalent Italian proverb is the one a pro translator might use, rather than trying to retain the English construction. But what's a bit tricky about this one, I think, is the unstated but implied "if-then" conditional clause construction of the English, which makes the Italian proverb feel not quite in tune to the spirit of the original. The English language proverb leaves open the possibility that one could walk away from the fight. It's up to you to. It's even possible one might have a valuable thing without fighting for it. The Italian proverb suggests things of value can only be obtained by fighting for them.

cornishannie Sep 20th, 2015 07:09 AM

I shall try my italian teacher, who I should see on Wednesday.