Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   transitting dorsoduro (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/transitting-dorsoduro-537529/)

sllo1 Jun 17th, 2005 10:51 AM

transitting dorsoduro

I will be taking a course in Venice at the beginning of October. The location is in the Campo San Vio, just east of the Accademia. I have been looking at renting an apartment, Ca'Andreina, with 2 other women. It is located near the Santa Maria della Salute church. Because we will have to be at the course early each morning I wanted to be sure we could walk there from where ever we stayed (hence, Dorsoduro). I am engaged in a confusing conversation, by e-mail, with the rental agency who are based in Rome, but who have consulted the owner. I asked if it was possible to walk from the apartment to Campo San Vio and am told no, one has to take the vaporetto. Based on my map, this doesn't seem right.

Can anyone assure me, from their own experience, one way or the other? Can I walk from the apartment that appears to be near the Zatterre al Saloni (i.e., you have a view of the water from the window) to the Campo San Vio?

Thanks.

Therese Jun 17th, 2005 11:07 AM

You can walk from any point in Venice proper to anywhere else. This walk is not only feasible but pretty darn easy.

Eloise Jun 17th, 2005 11:09 AM

First off, I have to admit that I have never walked from Zattere al Saloni to Campo San Vio.

But both the Accademia and the Salute are in Dorsoduro; there is no way that you have to take a vaporetto within the sestiere.

Also, the hit I got for Ca Andreina (www.romesweethome.it) says that it is in the Accademia zone.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but the agency (Rome Sweet Home) has several bad reviews -- in the Rome section -- on www.slowtrav.com.

ellenem Jun 17th, 2005 11:11 AM

I suspect you could walk it in 5-10 minutes.

sllo1 Jun 17th, 2005 11:38 AM

Thanks for the fast replies.

Eloise, your comment re Rome Sweet Home is interesting because I found the same property listed at La Dolce Vita for 100 euros less per week. But that may be a topic for another post.

rialtogrl Jun 17th, 2005 05:16 PM

You can definitely walk from Zattere to Campo San Vio! It will take you LESS than 5 minutes. (Probably more like TWO.)

Patrick Jun 17th, 2005 05:48 PM

I'd shy away from any agency that tells you that you need to take a vaparetto between those two locations. If they know that little about the place, they probably won't be very accurate about any information regarding the apartment, like how many beds it has or whether it's on the first or fifth floor.

sllo1 Jun 17th, 2005 11:08 PM

Indeed, we have abandoned this plan. I looked at the slowtrav.com reviews and was disturbed to see a pattern where they double book a place then put you wherever. Also that they don't attend to problems. This confirmed the red flags that were already waving because of the confusion over what should have been a simple question of directions.

jal52 Jun 18th, 2005 09:06 AM

Try an apartment with Palazetto da Schio, located in the same area. I have been exchanging emails with the Contessa da Schio and she has been very efficient and informative. She may be booked up, though.

rialtogrl Jun 18th, 2005 09:16 AM

I checked out some of the reviews on slowtrav and found a three bedroom apartment IN San Vio.

This link will take you there:
http://www.venice-rentals.com/venice/index-3-bed.shtml

I don't know what your budget is but a 3 bedroom for about $1600 a week sounds pretty reasonable to me.

sllo1 Jun 19th, 2005 12:03 AM

Thank you both for those very appealing suggestions.

We are now flooded with choices as I have been dealing with the other Venice Rentals (without the hyphen) and they have made some useful suggestions.

I will pass all of this on to my travelling buddies and see where we end up. :-) Thanks again.