Reload this Page >

Transit from Santorini port to Volcano View Villas

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 02:03 PM
CRV
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be taking the ferry from Crete to Santorini on May 21st, arriving at 11:00 AM. Are there usually taxis waiting for the ferrys (cost?)? Any other means of transit (bus, shuttle) to get us to the Volcano View?

Also, since Akrotiri seems to be open, is it better to take an organized tour of the site (if available), or is it possible to tour the site on your own?

This site has been great in helping us plan our trip. Thanks.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 02:39 PM

There are taxis waiting, although many of them have been reserved in advance. There is also a public bus for 1 Euro that will take you into Fira, and you can walk to your hotel. Email them for directions from the bus square.

It's possible to tour Akrotiri on your own, and you can get a book that will assist you. There's a bus from Fira to Akrotiri.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:12 PM

No, you can't walk from Fira to VVV; they are outside town. VVV does have a shuttle that runs to and from Fira for its clientele during the daytime. It operates on the hour or half hour (can't remember which); guess you could get in touch with them to see if that would work for you or what they would recommend. When we stayed at VVV, we were booked thru Fantasy Travel who arranged the transfer, but I can't think a taxi from the port to VVV would cost that much.

Have fun; the view of the caldera from VVV is beyond spectacular!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:50 PM

I stand corrected on the distance between the bus square and VVV. Thanks, Grandmere.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM

We also took the hotel transfer to Volcano View Villas which was arranged by Fantasy Travel, but if I remember correctly, you can arrange it with the hotel directly..And by the way the view is absolutely breathtaking from VVV...I would love to go there again..If you are into Mexican Food, check out Senor Zorba..It is a nice walk up the side of the cliff and has great food and amazing views of the sunset...
www.senor-zorba.gr
I would love to back to Santorini again, have a great time.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:28 AM

We stayed at VVV last month. If you contact them in advance, they will pick you up in their shuttle. The manager is Nick Dinos and he's a great guy, more than willing to help with your arrival as well as planning your time on the island. Enjoy your stay, as others have said, VVV is a great place!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:55 AM
CRV
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! I think 4 days in Santorini is going to go by too fast. Michael - I have been in touch by email with Andreas at VVV, and he suggested I phone the day before we arrive to see if the shuttle was available. Since, I didn't know whether we would be able to phone, I thought I'd explore other options. I will contact him again. Tracy -- I have heard very good things about Senor Zorbas. I think it will be our first dinner on Santorini. Lee and others -- I know the VVV has a shuttle to Fira, so I assume it is too far to walk to town. But, are there restaurants, shops, etc., within walking distance of VVV? (may be a dumb question, but it's our first time in S and I can't find a detailed map of hotel location and surrounding area). Thanks.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:17 PM

We walked from the VVV to Senor Zorbas and way up to Santo Winery (which I also recommend)..Unless they built some stores since we were there 2 years ago, you have to take the shuttle or local bus to Fira in order to do any shopping..But it wasn't a big deal..
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:20 PM

Oh, and also check out my pic's of Santorini and Volcano View Villas!

http://community.webshots.com/album/171767336raQjZr
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:06 AM

Hi,
Im niko from volcano view. I am manager of Volcano View VIP Villas (VVV). Some people tell me I am famous cause they read about me on the internet. I just like to make sure people enjoy themselves while they are on our island. I love santorini and I hate it when anyone has a bad experience here. I love all the tourists and want them to love this island as much as I do.

I will try to answer some of the issues posted here but you seem to have done a good job yourselves.

I just want you to know that there is Volcano View Hotel(VVH)and Volcano View Villas (VVV). (PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE NOT ASSOCIATED WITH "VOLCANO VILLAS" IN OIA (the manager there is also NIKO- what are the chances of that!!!)

Volcano View Hotel (VVH) and Volcano View VIP Villas (VVV)are adjacent to each other but operate seperately. VVH is a 91-room, 4 star hotel. VVV are the 5 star VIP villas with the private pools. There are only 5 such villas. The complex is located about 2km south of fira on the straight road and the view is spectacular - I know cause I look at it every day!!

When you book a VIP villa at VVV, summer or winter, there are free transfers from the airport or harbor. This is part of the 5 star service.

This is not the case with the regular hotel however. The transfers from the airport or harbor are not usually free. Some exceptions are made but that is under the discrecion of the hotel management and there are a lot of factors involved in their decision -- mostly logisical. The bus is used for the free shuttle into town and sometimes it is difficult hard for management assure a pick up. This is especially hard when flights and ships have delays. All cab drivers know where the hotel is and you are looking at around 10-15 euros per cab. Cabs can not leagally take more than 4 persons.

There is a free suttle bus that runs into fira town and back 6 times per day.

We also opened a mini market across the street which is handy for some little extras you might need. This operates from around May 1 to about Oct 15.

For those of you travelling in the winter the villas are available to rent on a self catering basis with daily maid service and free airport transfer for 195-320 per night. This is much cheaper than the 550-1650 per night summer rates. Also, during the winter there is no extra charge for extra persons, so eg 4 persons can share a 2 bedroom villa for 260 (depending on choice of villa). The special winter villa rates are very popular and run from Oct 21-April 19

If you have any questions dont hesitate to contact us. I can also be reached at [email protected]

Hope to see you soon
Nick Dinos