Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transit From Saint Petersburg Airport to Cruise Ship

Old Mar 8th, 2019, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be arriving at the airport in Saint Petersburg for our river cruise in mid-September. We will have deviated somewhat from the scheduled airport arrival time provided to us by the cruise line so we are being asked to pay an extra fee for transport to our ship as they must make a special trip to the airport to pick us up. Ok, fair enough. I agree an extra trip requires an extra fee. But the fee they will charge us is $60. per person for a total of $120. This seems quite high to me. Is there a safe, reliable means of transportation from the airport to our ship that is more economical? Taxi? Uber? Public transport, maybe? Please clue me in. Thanks.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 10:12 AM

No experience but this website has a link to cab companies. Passenger ports in St. Petersburg, Russia

Airport transfers in St. Petersburg, Russia
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 08:19 PM

Hi,
The official tourist sites of St.Petersburg are ispb.info/tourist and http://www.visit-petersburg.ru. The website quoted in the post above is a commercial site.
Public transport is, in my opinion, not the best option for your route, as the river port is not too conveniently located.

The easiest (and affordable) option is rideshare services. Please bear in mind that for Uber, you will need to install a separate, Russia-specific Uber app, which is not visible by default if you browse from a US IP address.
I'd recommend downloading Yandex taxi app and checking out what their typical rates (and availability) are for your day of the week/time of arrival. For instance, right now (early Sat morning in SPB) an "economy" ride between Pulkovo and Solyanoy Prichal (Oktyabrskaya naberezhnaya 29, assuming that's where your ship is berthed) is 520 rubles (8 dollars),with 25 minutes in transit and a 4-minute wait.

I'd say at 4 dollars per person, it seems quite a bit of a better deal than what your cruise line has to offer

Last edited by napoxoguk; Mar 8th, 2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the heads-up. I thought the cruise line quote was too high. Your info will save us a lot of money. Appreciated
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 07:04 PM

I'd second the Yandex app. Last time I used it, it was $11 (USD) from the airport to the ship. Definitely a better deal than what you are getting through the cruise line.

I have also used uber while in Russia. It's also a very reasonable cost. You should be ok going either route.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 05:48 AM

I was always attracted to the warm countries. I was always thinking that it was most pleasant to travel to the seashore in a warm country to eat oysters and bask in the sun. But this year I went to Russia. I got an unforgettable pleasure from the trip and the trip was very pleasant for the budget too. I used this site hellorussia.co.uk when I was looking for answers to my questions before my trip to Russia.