transfers from Heathrow to port at Southampton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I (wife, 2 sons - 16 and 11)will be on the Aug 20 sailing of the Golden Princess. We are flying to Heathrow and need transportation from the airport to the cruise terminal in Southampton. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced private car service? I have been looking online and the costs seem exhorbitant!
Also, if there is anyone who is on the same sailing and will be arriving at Heathrow somewhere in the vicinity of 11 am on Aug 20, we would definitely be interested in sharing transportation.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 10:51 AM

The National Express leaves Heathrow for Southampton Port and takes about 2 hours depending on traffic
http://www.nationalexpress.com/
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 01:48 AM

Isnhc - Have you thought of driving?

For a family of 4 your cheapest option would to to hire a car and drive yourselves ...

Steve
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 02:56 AM

Google on "southampton airport taxi" and similar terms and you'll find Southampton-based companies taking Southamptonians to the airports in England's South-east.

One example is JM Airport Shuttle, who are quoting £80 single. If you regard this as extortionate, it's very unlikely you'll find a much lower rate anywhere else: indeed JM guarantee you won't.

The National Express bus, or the Railair bus to Woking and the train to Southampton are then, apart from a one-way self-drive hire, your only alternatives. But neither go to Southampton port. They both drop you in the middle of the city, and you need to plan for a taxi from there to your ship.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 06:28 AM

You are talking about a journey of about 70 miles so I would expect to pay at least £150. So flanneruk's suggestion that only charges £80 sounds like a REAL bargain (a cab just 20 miles into London would be about £50+).

here is another transfer service www.centralchauffeur.com/AirportTransfers.htm but it is nearly twice as expensive.

If JM is too much then the National express coach will be your best option, but will probably cost nearly as much.

One thing to note - National Express has a number of pieces and weight limit for baggage. Since many cruisers take a ton of luggage that might be a problem. You will be limited to 40 kg and two bags max. per person.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We used a local Southampton company recommended on Cruisecritic.com, Woodford Chauffeur Cars, http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk/ and thought they were great. Note we were going from the dock to LHR, but shouldn't be any different.
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Hi, I'll be taking the Grand Princess Cruise from Southampton this summer, can you give me some suggestions for hotels in Southampton and which excrusions are worth the $. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
hottieg: You have tacked your question about hotels in Southampton on to a two year old thread asking about London/Southampton transfers.

You <i>might</i> get some useful feedback - but you will do much better to start a new thread w/ your specific question.
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM

Oh - I see you did start a new thread too - so now you have three out there. Sorry I can't help you w/ hotels in Southampton . .

But most cruise lines offer airport to port transfers. That is probably your best option.
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:12 PM

Thank you soooo much for your response. I'm a novic at blogging, is it ok to have three on the same subject?
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:28 PM

sure - it is fine to have multiple threads, don't worry. I was just trying to help you use the board more effectively. I mostly meant it is usually better to start a new thread since sometimes info even from just a year ago can be out of date.