Transfer time - Istanbul's Ataturk Airport

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:15 AM
kja
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer time - Istanbul's Ataturk Airport

My official request for leave has been granted! ☺ ☺ ☺

So its finally time to book my flights! A few questions first:

• Any reason to delay booking my flights? My planned trip starts in early May and ends in early June.
• I’m looking at some options through Turkish Airlines. I haven't flown with them before. Any comments?
• Is 1’ 50” sufficient for a layover in Istanbul’s Ataturk airport? I expect to book straight through, and on the same airline, from the US to Ankara.

Thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:45 AM

TA gets good reviews. We've flown them once and had a very good experience. Yes, your layover time is fine.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 01:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You will most probably checking in all the way to Ankara and and transiting at IST airport. This means that you will be going through visa, passport and customs in Ankara.

This also means that you will be ushered to the transfer desk immediately upon arrival at the gate and then taken to your Ankara flight.

If your flight from the USA is delayed (could even be early depending on head winds or a maximum of 30 minutes delay due to congestion at originating airport) there are very frequent flights from istanbul to Ankara, and you would be on the next one.

Just make sure you have both the istanbul and the Ankara boarding passes.

The earlier you get your tickets the better because end of May is one of the busiest times for Turkish students studying in the United States coming back home and seat are usually at a premium.

Check to make sure that you have either the full refundable or refundable at a cost tickets. just in case.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:08 PM
kja
Original Poster

Thanks so much!

I'll book tomorrow, and as soon as possible, I will purchase cancel-for-any-reason insurance.

Other -

Do you think that ticket refundability is more important than cancel-for-any-reason insurance? Please explain....

K
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not know about "cancel for any reason insurance" although I am a risk manager.

I would compare the cost of both and the practicality of getting the refund of each.